X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I enable Compiz Fusion?

Hello,

I am very new to linux, and i have just recenlty started working with it. I was trying out Sabayon, but when i saw that the new kubuntu comes with compiz fusion, i wanted to try it.

i downloaded the dvd install disc for gusty gibbon, and did a fresh install on my hard drive. it installed fine, and it runs fine, but i cant see compiz anywhere. how do i get it to work? or can i get it to work. i have a nvidia geforce 4 ti4200. i think it is a legacy card, but when i try to get the legacy drivers through adept package manager, i dont see legacy drivers, i only see nvidia, and nvidia new.

i was also wondering where i can get more sources for repositories. i have done some searching, but i cant find much.

thanks for any help

Re: How do I enable Compiz Fusion?

As far as the driver goes, check out Envy, it will autodetect your card and download and install its appropriate driver, as well as its dependencies. With Gutsy you should just be able to download the latest .deb package and click on it, and Gdebi will install it for you; if not, let me know and I'll help you sort things out.

Once you get Envy installed, run it and and choose the option to install the Nvidia driver; once it has finished, tell it "yes" when asked whether you want it to configure xorg.conf for you, but "no" when prompted about whether you want to reboot. Then, close Envy if it doesn't automatically, and open Konsole. Enter the following command:
    Code:
    sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals --composite
    followed by:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install compiz-kde emerald compiz-fusion-plugins-extra compiz-fusion-plugins-main compizconfig-settings-manager
    to install CF, just in case it isn't already installed. Then, reboot, press Alt+F2, and run the command "compiz" (minus the " " symbols). After that, YOU SHOULD BE GOOD TO GO!!! You can change Compiz' settings in "Kmenu -> Settings -> Advanced Desktop Effects Settings".
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

ok, great, i will try that when i get home.
      thanks for the quick reply!

Comment

ok, i finally have time to work on this. i couldnt get envy to download all the files it needed, so i just tried reinstalling kubuntu thinking my install was bad.

i got kubuntu up and running again, and envy still wont download all it needs...sometimes it will get 80 somthing percent, sometimes it will get 90 somthing percent of the files but then it always gives me an error.

when i reinstalled kubuntu, as soon as it booted the first time it popped up a box by the clock saying that it could enable restriced drivers for the nvidia, i went ahead and had it enable them, should i have done that?

so im stuck...thanks for the help so far

Comment

You need to take in steps.

Step 1 -- get your Nvidia driver installed (correctly).

Step 2 -- configure your Nvidia card to run glx and compositing.

Step 3 -- verify steps 1 and 2 using glxgears

Step 4 -- enable compiz and start playing with the eye candy.

So, you've got to get past whatever the Envy problem is, and get step 1 done correctly. Try again with Envy (download the latest version from here, right-click the download file on your desktop and choose "Open with Gdebi" to install it, and then post your errors here so we can see what the problem is.

Comment

Working...
          X