This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing AGV and Dazuko

I'm running a dual boot system so I would like to install the AGV Anti virus, the documentation for installing AGV says that you have to have Dazuko installed for it to work properly. My problem is that I can not figure out how to install Dazuko, it says that you have to have the source code to your Kernel or you have to build and install a new Kernel.

I know which Kernel I have but do not know how to get the source code.

Linux me 2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP Sun Oct 14 23:05:12 GMT 2007 i686 GNU/Linux

Could somebody please tell how to get the source code or how to build a new Kernel, so that I can install Dazuko and AGV

Thanks in advance

Re: Installing AGV and Dazuko

Sorry it not AGV it's AVG Anti virus oops!

Comment

Generally speaking, AntiVirus software/protection is not needed in a Linux OS. Is there a specific reason you want an AV installed??
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes the reason I want it installed is because I am also running Windows XP on the same system, from reading some of the other post it is suggested that I could receive a virus through Linux that would effect my windows. True or not I don't know ! I just started using Kubuntu, because I'm tired of the unreliability of windows. I kept windows on the system because my wife still wants to use it for DV video editing.

Comment

While the likely hood that Windoze would get infected by a virus from/via your linux OS is remote, I understand your concerns. There are other Linux antivirus packages you can consider, and that don't require compiling from source or building a new kernel!

In Adept Manager, you can install clamav:
          antivirus scanner for Unix

Clam AntiVirus is an anti-virus toolkit for Unix. The main purpose of this software is the integration with mail servers (attachment scanning). The package provides a flexible and scalable multi-threaded daemon in the clamav-daemon package, a commandline scanner in the clamav package, and a tool for automatic updating via Internet through the clamav-freshclam package. The programs are based on libclamav2, which you can use in your own software.

This package contains the command line interface. It has: * built-in support for RAR (2.0), Zip, Gzip, Bzip2, Tar, MS OLE2, MS Cabinet files, MS CHM (Compressed HTML), MS SZDD * built-in support for mbox, Maildir and raw mail files * built-in support for Portable Executable files compressed with UPX, FSG, and Petite

For scanning to work you'll need a virus database. You have 2 alternatives: * clamav-freshclam: updates the database from Internet. This is recommended if you have Internet access. * clamav-data: for users without Internet access. Isn't updated at all once it's installed. You can easily create your own updated package from an Internet connected computer however, using clamav-getfiles.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks I'm downlaoding and installing the clamav and will give it a try.

Comment

installing AGV says that you have to have Dazuko installed for it to work properly
              It depends on what you are wanting. dazuko is for file access and you should only require this if you are wanting on access scanning. If what you are looking for instead is simply an on demand scanner you should be able to use avg without dazuko.

Comment

Working...
              X