This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer 3050

well, I have an acer 3050 and it is just impossible to install linux on it... no distros work and I would love to have kubunt (and compiz-fusion to brag) running, but seems to be impossible to do that, so I thought "why not try to get some help under this forum", hence, here I am!
    So, is there a way to install ubunt on my 3050? that would really be great if I could use linux on my laptop, but without your help there is no hope of succes...
    btw, I am a total newbie in linux world but I have done my homework and already tried to use acpi=of and noapci commands but they all couldnt solve the problem... even the live cd doesnt work at all!!!
    well, thanks anyway!

Re: Acer 3050

Let's start with some information beyond what you have already provided.

Is your laptop BIOS set to boot from CD first? You would know if the LiveCD boots at all when you restart your laptop. Does it?

What OS is already present on the laptop? Windoze XP/Vista??

What video card/chipset is in the laptop?

What is the size of the HD, and how much RAM do you have?

Do you have any peripheral devices attached? If yes, what are they and how are they attached (USB or ....)?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
      Let's start with some information beyond what you have already provided.

Is your laptop BIOS set to boot from CD first? You would know if the LiveCD boots at all when you restart your laptop. Does it?

What OS is already present on the laptop? Windoze XP/Vista??

What video card/chipset is in the laptop?

What is the size of the HD, and how much RAM do you have?

Do you have any peripheral devices attached? If yes, what are they and how are they attached (USB or ....)?
      Yes, it boots from the cd!
      Windows XP sp2
      Ati xpress 1100
      HD 80gig and 2gig of ram
      just one usb mouse as peripheral...

Comment

Originally posted by AllanJacques
        Yes, it boots from the cd!
        Windows XP sp2
        Ati xpress 1100
        When it boots (from the CD), do you ever get to the actual boot menu?

Comment

yes I do, but it hangs after the boot, when I choose to instal it, it goes and stops the instalation at a certain point...

Comment

We want to be able to determine at what point things 'go bad.' Reboot. When you are at the boot menu press 'e' to edit the boot command line. Arrow to the end of the line and then backspace over splash and quiet and then press enter to continue. This will remove the splash screen and display the text messages as the booting procedes. Watch as it procedes and see if you can identify at what point (after what last displayed message) do things go bad.

Comment

Working...
            X