X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with laptop installation

Okay I'm hoping someone can help me!

I have two older laptops that are both kinda dead in the water software wise, though the hardware is okay on one and the other one just needs a new CD-ROM. Windows was corrupted on the one and completely wiped by a virus on the other.

So, I've been trying to get Linux installed. I've been wanting to try it anyway, I thought this would be a good way to try it without messing with my Dell.

Problem is I can't get the laptop with a functioning CD ROM to boot from the Kubuntu disc I got (I tried both the 7.04 live CD and the 7.04 for a 64 bit PC disc). The other laptop doesn't have a functional CD ROM drive.

I talked to a guy at a big electronics store here in Chicagoland that does repairs, he suggested getting this adapter to take out the internal hard drive and turn it into an external USB drive that I could read/write from my Dell. So I looked at both drives, cleared them off and formatted them. The one still won't boot from the CD, just shows me the loading screens and stops at the point where it used to say "loading Windows 95"

I'm still kinda confused by a lot of this Linux stuff, but is there a way to set up Linux (or at least set up a bootable installation) on the hard drive while it's a USB external connected to my Dell?

Here's the specs of what I'm working with:

Laptop 1 is a Fujitsu PC dating back to 1997 that originally ran Windows 95. It's got a 4 GB hard drive (I think that was the size), and I believe it's a 133 MHz Pentium processor. It has a functional CD-ROM drive, and there's a floppy drive too but I don't recall where I put it (that's external).

Laptop 2 is a HP Pavilion dating back to late 2001 that originally ran Windows XP. It's got a 20 GB hard drive and an AMD Athlon processor but I forget the speed (I wanna say like 1.4 GHz but I'm not positive). The CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo drive is dead as a doornail but there is a functional floppy drive. Only problem is I do not have a floppy on my Dell, so I'd need someone to make me a bootable floppy.

Neither laptop has an option to boot from USB, just CD-ROM, floppy (for the HP) and hard drive.

My desktop is a Dell Dimension that's about two years old now, running Windows XP. No floppy drive but a functional CD burner.

I'm pretty good with computers, but I've never used Linux and my head hurts from trying to understand all these different builds and stuff. I've used MS-DOS before, but it's been a while (my first desktop had Windows 3.11 and DOS and I played a lot of DOS-based games...man I miss those!), so working the command prompt doesn't scare me.

So can anyone help me? I really want to get something running on one of these laptops FAST because I want to be able to work on my NaNoWriMo effort somewhere other than my bedroom this month Right now, until December hits, I'd be happy with a command prompt and some functional word processor (I'm using Q10 for my novel on my Dell, but I also am used to OpenOffice.org).

Thanks in advance!!!!

~MJ~

Re: Help with laptop installation

Originally posted by KnitChick
    Problem is I can't get the laptop with a functioning CD ROM to boot from the Kubuntu disc I got (I tried both the 7.04 live CD and the 7.04 for a 64 bit PC disc).
    Just out of interest, by this do you mean you couldn't edit the bios to set it to boot from cd. Or did you do that and then the cd wouldn't load. If its the first it should be very easy to solve. If the second we can probably solve that too.

As for installing it via usb from the dell, its definitely doable. The trick is to make sure that grub gets installed to the right place (grub is the bootloader used by k/ubuntu), namely onto the usb hard drive. I'm not 100% on how to make sure it is installed here and not onto your dell (which would be the default place that it would be installed) but I'm sure someone else will be able to tell you. I get the impression the answer is contained in the following post: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...84894#msg84894

Comment

Laptop #1 is probably too old and slow for any Ubuntu-based distro. There is a 256 or 128 Meg RAM requirement for any version of Ubuntu. That might be why it would not boot (and the 64 bit disk will definitly not work in this 32 bit machine).

I would try Damn Small Linux. It is Debian based, like Ubuntu, but made to run on old hardware. You can install it from a CD (it is only 50Meg), then add whatever packages you want by enabling Synaptic.

Laptop #2 should have no problem with Kubuntu. It might be easier to replace the CDROM than install from some other source.

Good luck.

C

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions!

I do have the BIOS set to boot from CD first. I'm trying to get Damn Small Linux downloaded and burned onto a CD (so far I'm getting error messages trying to burn the ISO so I'm downloading a different burner program). Thanks for the suggestion lotusjps, I think if I can get my burner to behave that DSL sounds great!

I read that link, marshallbanana, I think I need to sit down and re-read it again because it's not making sense yet but I think that should help! Thanks!!

Comment

Try setting the burn speed down low. I know kubuntu often fails if burned at over 4x

Comment

I did get it to work, I tried a different program to burn the CD and that behaved well. And I'm getting the laptop to behave, somewhat, it just is excruciatingly slow (very little memory, but I ordered some RAM off eBay to help with that). But it's booting from the CD and seeing the hardware and everything, so that's a great sign! *happy dance*

I also ordered up a CD-ROM drive for the HP, maybe by the end of this week I'll have two working laptops and two versions of Linux to play with!

Comment

Working...
            X