X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual-Booting?

Hello,

I recently got a new computer and decided to install Kubuntu to it. Preferring KDE, I did not install Ubuntu. So, that is why I am here...

I've found a few tutorials and information on dual-booting Vista with Ubuntu installed first, but I've yet to come across any information that could be used with Kubuntu (for partitioning, that is). I guess the main problem is, I need a KDE Partition Editor (like how Gnome has Gparted). That, and I need to know what my main partition is...

I'm using this tutorial, by the way: http://apcmag.com/5045/how_to_dual_b...sta_with_linux

Also, if there is a guide that is specifically for Kubuntu...that could help too. But given that Ubuntu isn't much difference, it is really only the partitioning that is the problem for me, seeing as how I've never partitioned any drive.

Note: I did search these forums first, it didn't turn up what I was looking for, however.

Re: Dual-Booting?

Read through this post. You'll gain some insight on what you are about to do. I have Kubuntu installed dual-boot with OEM Windoze Vista Home Premium. I've no problems at all. I am also using EasyBCD boot loader, which is addressed in the post.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Download and burn a GParted Live CD, which is a bootable CD that has a considerably more recent version of GParted than the version in the standard repos. Get it here:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=173828

Good guidance on dual-boot setups is here:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/partitioning

Comment

You can use GParted with Kubuntu, also, easily, and, in fact, it is recommended that you do so
        (That’s what most of us use.)

You are already using the best Vista-dual booting guide I know of.

Two other GRUB/dual-booting references are the following, but you probably will not need them for what you are doing right now:

Bigpond, home: http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/

How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Great, thanks everyone.

I wasn't aware that Gnome applications where necessarily able to be easily installed on another GUI.

I'll see how well I can follow the steps. I've found Linux easy to use so far, so I dual-booting shouldn't be too hard.

Comment

I would personally (and I did) use the native drive resizer in Vista. This utility can shrink the Vista volume down to as small as it will get. If you want even more space on the HD for use with Linux, you will need to uninstall any programs in Vista that you don't or won't use - ever - before you shrink the volume.

Comment

This link has a good step-by-step instruction on shrinking the Vista volume.

Comment

I have read the same thing Snowhog said about the Vista re-sizer. Then after doing that, you can safely switch over to using GParted Live CD for the other partitioning you need to do (on the same hard drive project).
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Another thing to consider when preparing a HD that has Windoze Vista on it: If you have enabled Restore Points, you want to disable it and remove any restore points you may have created. These restore points take up disk space. If you keep them and resize the volume, you will not gain as much disk space as you may want or need.

Comment

There is also qtparted, which is just like gparted but built from the qt toolset that is used by kde.

Comment

I see theres a few responses here...

But I tried many times with various booting options and -none- of them worked for me except for this: http://twiztidsinz.com/linuxvista.html

Thats the only one that allows me to dual boot Linux and Vista, all the rest would work for one but not the other.

Comment

Originally posted by TwiztidSinz
                        Thats the only one that allows me to dual boot Linux and Vista, all the rest would work for one but not the other.
                        That's suprising. In your case, was Vista already installed? The guide provided in the first post by Linux-Newbie - http://apcmag.com/5045/how_to_dual_b...sta_with_linux - deals with dual-booting with Linux already installed (installing Vista after Linux). From the same site however - http://apcmag.com/5046/how_to_dual_b...nstalled_first - deals with dual-booting with Vista already installed (installing Linux after Vista).

Comment

My experience with installing Kubuntu on my laptop with OEM Windoze Vista Home Premium pre-installed can be read here. It went without a hitch, and I've been dual-booting quite fine.

Comment

yeah.. all the ones by apcmag.com are junk (not to step on anyones toes) it's screwed up my system EVERY time I've tried to set up a dual-boot using their instructions -- Vista/XP, Vista/Linux, XP/Linux, Vista first then Linux/XP, Linux/XP first then Vista... none of them work they all have huge problems in the end (as seen by the numerous posts asking for help on broken systems).

Comment

Well, that’s what this forum is for – different ideas, opinions, methods. As the saying goes, YMMV: your mileage may vary.

The apc material is standard stuff, pretty straight. Many people have have used it with success. Yours, TwiztidSinz, looks pretty cool, and pretty technical for new folks (having them use the dd & etc.). But let’s not use this thread to flame it out. We’d first need to conduct a statistical test, running, say, 30 folks through both tutorials to see how they all fare. One thing, too, my friend, that I’ve learned—Results (on configuring booting) differ considerably as a function of the specific user setup and the specific user’s skill level in navigating the logistics of it all (commands, rolling with exceptions, etc.).

Comment

Working...
                              X