Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu7.10: Problem with Logitech MX1000 and xorg.conf => fails to load desktop

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu7.10: Problem with Logitech MX1000 and xorg.conf => fails to load desktop

Recently I started playing with Linux, tried a few versions out and fell in love with Kubuntu.
    I'm still new to Linux in general, but fairly competent with computers and can figure out most stuff on my own and typically what I cannot figure out on my own, I ask my good friend www.Google.com to help me with.

I am using a Logitech MX5000 Keyboard and MX1000 Mouse bluetooth combo, aside from a somewhat minor connection issue (When I load the desktop, I have to unplug the bluetooth dongle for a few seconds then plug it back in, after that everything works fine and I'm able to type and move my mouse so that I can log in) and the problem mentioned here they work well enough.
    I have no 'real' use of the Forward, Back or Document Flip buttons, they have incorrect functionality:
    Forward: Same effect of Right Click.
    Back: Vertical Scroll Icon (the Icon that stays on the screen and scrolls in the direction of the mouse)
    Document Flip: Same as the Back button.

Both Google and the Kubuntu Wiki brought me to this page: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MX1000Mouse
    I followed the instructions exactly but it will not work for me.
    As Kubuntu is loading, it stops at:
    Code:
    * Running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local)         [ OK ]
    Rebooting and restoring the original copy of the file lets me into the desktop again.

Output from "cat /proc/bus/input/devices":
    Code:
    I: Bus=0003 Vendor=046d Product=c70e Version=0111
    N: Name="Logitech Logitech BT Mini-Receiver"
    P: Phys=usb-0000:00:1d.1-1.2/input0
    S: Sysfs=/class/input/input7
    U: Uniq=00076147D892
    H: Handlers=kbd event3
    B: EV=120003
    B: KEY=10000 7 ff800000 7ff febeffdf ffefffff ffffffff fffffffe
    B: LED=1f

I: Bus=0003 Vendor=046d Product=c70a Version=0111
    N: Name="Logitech Logitech BT Mini-Receiver"
    P: Phys=usb-0000:00:1d.1-1.3/input0
    S: Sysfs=/class/input/input8
    U: Uniq=00076147D892
    H: Handlers=kbd mouse1 event4
    B: EV=f
    B: KEY=7fff 2c3027 bf004440 0 0 fff0001 f80 8837c000 667bfa d941dfed 9e0000 0 0 0
    B: REL=1c3
    B: ABS=1 0
    EDITED FILE (Fails to load desktop):
    Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
    	Driver		"kbd"
    	Option		"CoreKeyboard"
    	Option		"XkbRules"	"xorg"
    	Option		"XkbModel"	"pc105"
    	Option		"XkbLayout"	"us"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier   "Logitech MX1000"
        Driver     "evdev"
        Option     "Name"     "Logitech Logitech BT Mini-Receiver"
        Option     "HWHEELRelativeAxisButtons" "7 6"
    #    Option		"Dev Phys"	"usb-0000:00:1d.1-1.3/input0"
    EndSection
    ================================================================================
    Section "ServerLayout"
    	Identifier	"Default Layout"
     screen "Default Screen"
    	Inputdevice	"Generic Keyboard"
    	Inputdevice	"Logitech MX1000" "CorePointer"

# Uncomment if you have a wacom tablet
    	#	InputDevice   "stylus"	"SendCoreEvents"
    	#	InputDevice   "cursor"	"SendCoreEvents"
    	#	InputDevice   "eraser"	"SendCoreEvents"
    EndSection
    I added the line "Option "Dev Phys" "usb-0000:00:1d.1-1.3/input0"" from the Breezy Badger section in hopes of solving the failure to load problem and/or the connection problem, but there is no (visible) change between not having it, having it and having it commented out.

ORIGINAL FILE (Loads desktop with no issue):
    Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
    	Driver		"kbd"
    	Option		"CoreKeyboard"
    	Option		"XkbRules"	"xorg"
    	Option		"XkbModel"	"pc105"
    	Option		"XkbLayout"	"us"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
    	Driver		"mouse"
    	Option		"CorePointer"
    	Option		"Device"	"/dev/input/mice"
    	Option		"Protocol"	"ImPS/2"
    	Option		"ZAxisMapping"	"4 5"
    	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"true"
    EndSection
    ================================================================================
    Section "ServerLayout"
    	Identifier	"Default Layout"
     screen "Default Screen"
    	Inputdevice	"Generic Keyboard"
    	Inputdevice	"Configured Mouse"

# Uncomment if you have a wacom tablet
    	#	InputDevice   "stylus"	"SendCoreEvents"
    	#	InputDevice   "cursor"	"SendCoreEvents"
    	#	InputDevice   "eraser"	"SendCoreEvents"
    EndSection
    One thing I noticed was my Edited code has spaces rather than tabs (from copy/pasting from the web), though replacing the spaces with tabs doesn't seem to change anything.

While reading the thread linked in the guide I came across this post. The instructions to add the "Option "Device" "/dev/input/event1"" line are under the Breezy Badger section so I did not follow them initially. When I tried them just a moment ago, I saw that according to "cat /proc/bus/input/devices" my Handlers= had changed to:
    Code:
    H: Handlers=kbd event2
    H: Handlers=kbd mouse1 event3
    for the Keyboard and Mouse respectively after reboot (they don't seem to change when I unplug/plug in the bluetooth dongle -while the desktop is loaded-)

Thanks in advance for any help/advice :-D
    ~Jeff

P.S.
    I had originally been using 7.04 upgraded to the 7.10 test/beta a few weeks back under VMWare under Windows Vista. After the official release of 7.10 I tried it using a clean install (still under VMWare) and I had noticed some issues that were not present in the 7.04->7.10, though they were fairly minor and I didn't really think much of them, partially attributing them to the fact that it was running on a virtual machine. Now I am running Kubuntu as an install OS (Dual booting with Vista) and I'm still noticing the issues (e.g. run "sudo dolphin" or "kdesu dolphin", close it, then run a normal instance of dolphin and close it. You'll get a bookmark error and will have to change the permissions/ownership of the .xml file back to your user)
    Would I be better off cutting my losses, stop progressing with this current install and formatting then installing 7.04 and upgrading to 7.10? or even just staying with 7.04?

Re: Kubuntu7.10: Problem with Logitech MX1000 and xorg.conf => fails to load des

Anyone?

Comment

Working...
    X