This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sapphire radeon 9200SE

I have searched the net and these pages for what to do with this video card, but either it's about more advanced things than I understand/need - or the relevant links are dead.

What I want to know is simply: What ATI card should I use? This PC will not be used for high-demand things, mainly for watching DVD, other video, browsing.

Re: sapphire radeon 9200SE

"What ATI card should I use?"

Do you mean you are considering replacing your 9200 card?

Have you installed kubuntu or are you just using the livecd right now? Are you getting a black screen when you try to boot?

For your uses I don't see any reason why you can't simply use the vesa driver and not mess with the complications.

Comment

If you have installed Kubuntu and it is working then you shouldn't have to do anything at all. If you want to enable all of the compiz effects and such you need to use the restriced drivers for your card most likely.

I couldn't ever get them sorted out with my ATI card so I did a little searching and found a bunch of people were using Envy to get them working. I tried it and they have been working great since. The only catch is that you need to uninstall it and use the regular drivers when the new kernel comes out. After that you can reinstall it and use the good drivers again. This will eventually get to be a thing of the past as ATI is now developing or helping to develop good drivers for linux. Until then we can only hope for better days

Comment

Originally posted by immrlizard
        If you have installed Kubuntu and it is working then you shouldn't have to do anything at all. If you want to enable all of the compiz effects and such you need to use the restriced drivers for your card most likely.

I couldn't ever get them sorted out with my ATI card so I did a little searching and found a bunch of people were using Envy to get them working. I tried it and they have been working great since. The only catch is that you need to uninstall it and use the regular drivers when the new kernel comes out. After that you can reinstall it and use the good drivers again. This will eventually get to be a thing of the past as ATI is now developing or helping to develop good drivers for linux. Until then we can only hope for better days
        Seems like the 9200 isn't up to it. No driver reported in Envy.
        So, I did find it best to switch graphics board for this PC, and take the 9200 myself. I sort of enjoy testing.

Comment

Working...
        X