Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Use VirtualBox and X Crashes OR Logs You Out?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use VirtualBox and X Crashes OR Logs You Out?

If you use VirtualBox with a Windows XP guest (or any guest) on Kubuntu Gutsy and find you automatically logout of your account (probably when idle) and think this is related to VirtualBox in any way, please post your concerns here.

My personal experience is, when running VirtualBox, I leave my workstation, come back and I am logged out of the system (randomly). I swear this only happens when running VirtualBox but I do not know how to confirm it for sure.

Re: Use VirtualBox and X Crashes OR Logs You Out?

I had some problems with VirtualBox (related to USB permissions - now solved ) when upgrading from Feisty to Gutsy. Otherwise I have XP running well; I think VirtualBox is an excellent way to satisfy the (very) occasional need for a Windows app. I've never had your problem. Sorry can't help!!

Comment

It happens to me too. But I use windoze only to write programs in c++ (borland c++ builder)(I need this for my university)
      My winxp also turns off sometimes. So I'm pressing [ctrl] + every 10 seconds, just in case. I think this is a Virtualbox issue.
      Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Comment

Are you logged out of kde and stuff or are you logged out of xp?

i sometimes get logged out of xp but never kde

I'm not logged out as such, it just sends me to the login screen and it says 2 programs running or something, its just a lock screen not a logout

Comment

I use VirtualBox to test my web development across IE 6, 7, Opera 9 & Safari 3B3. The XP account should never log out and doesn't. I am talking about, walking away with VirtualBox on and coming back and finding Kubuntu is logged out. Kubuntu should lock but never log out. I find this phenomenon only happens when I have VirtualBox running and I forget to turn it off.

I believe X is crashing and this is due to VirtualBox but I don't know how to confirm it for sure. I also don't know if this is a VirtualBox problem or Kubuntu problem. I also do not know where to start to try and figure it out. I checked the latest logs but nothing jumps out at me. I just have this 100% truthiness feeling that VirtualBox and Kubuntu scrap at some point when I walk away.

If you experience these X crashes or coming back and finding Kubuntu is logged out AND you think this is a problem due to VirtualBox. Please post your findings. Thanks!

Comment

In my case winxp just crashes. (closes) in the list of virtual machines status is "aborted".
            but kde is stable and I never had problems (except with the superkaramba widget I wrote that froze my PC after some time)
            Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Comment

As a newbie I spent right now 3 hours to get it working, without success.
              While I was indeed able to install and run Windows XP just fine, after the first reboot of Kubuntu Gutsy the boot process just hangs.

I tried the open source and the closed source version; same result. I don't know what to do.

Comment

Seriously consider using VMWare Player instead. It's free and it works. It's what I'm using (as well as other Forum members) on my Gutsy installation.

VMWare Player 2.0 can be downloaded here. You'll need an empty VMWare Player image for Windows, but you can get a pre-built one here. This site also has good instructions.
                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Seriously consider using VMWare Player instead. It's free and it works. It's what I'm using (as well as other Forum members) on my Gutsy installation.

Ditto that!!

If you have a fairly stable windows HD install you can also take this route:
                  http://www.howtoforge.com/vmware_con..._windows_linux

Comment

Pardon my ignorance (or lazzyness), but I don't wanna spend hours in reading and understand how the hell VMPlayer does work. I would like to have something out-of-the-box; like VirtualBox seemed to me. The usability was just great (until the reboot ).

I'm not sure, but could it be that the package for Gutsy is broken?

Comment

The conversion takes about 30 min. have a beer.
                      Installing vmware player take 3min. enjoy he beer.

Setting up shares another 5-20 min depending on what you want.

Comment

Ok, ok...the beer argument convinced me...

Nevertheless, is the VirtualBox package under Gutsy broken? Is anybody out there with a running (after reboot) VirtualBox on Kubuntu Gutsy? If so, out-of-the-box or with some miraculous tweaks?

Comment

Nevertheless, is the VirtualBox package under Gutsy broken? Is anybody out there with a running (after reboot) VirtualBox on Kubuntu Gutsy? If so, out-of-the-box or with some miraculous tweaks?
                          I am not biased and cannot answer that question. All can say imhex is that the combo of vmware player and a converted install or a image as described above is very stable and fast.

Comment

After "mounting" the image in vmplayer (under linux) I get this:
                            Code:
                            VMware Player unrecoverable error: (vcpu-0)
                            Failed to allocate page for guest RAM!
                            A log file is available in "/media/sda6/Windows XP/vmware.log". 
                            A core file is available in "/media/sda6/Windows XP/core". 
                            Please request support and include the contents of the log file and core file. 
                            To collect data to submit to VMware support, run "vm-support".
                            We will respond on the basis of your support entitlement.
                            sda6 is a NTFS partition, is that a problem?

Comment

Ladies and Gentlemen

Big time for a newbie. After my system "hanged" during reboot with VMPlayer too, I took a walk and thought about those crappy Linux thing. And suddenly I knew what's wrong with my system. I've installed the NVIDIA driver and I had to recompile (or however you call it) the kernel after installation again. Now my system is back, but the problem with VMPlayer remains...but I'm confident I will solve that too.

Update
                              =====
                              It seems indeed to be a problem with NTFS. On ext3 it works, well kind of. After it booted up, Windows XP has a freeze....

I try the whole thing now with VirtualBox.

Comment

Working...
                              X