Clear All

Re: strange myspace problem

All the errors that look like this are non-issues:

X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 169
    Major opcode: 145
    Minor opcode: 3
    Resource id: 0x0
    Failed to open device
    So you can safely ignore them. But there's a little bit of valid errors regard VBox and that j2re1.4 file. So, I'd try these, in sequence:

Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoclean
    Then, open Adept Manager and try marking your package for installation again.

Comment

I did all that and it was kind of fun entering those commands. I wish I knew all those commands. But no change with the problem. Right now that myspace locking things up isn't happening but most websites are not working right if at all. And they are all loading slow. Right now I have firefox removed and am using Konqueror with similar results so I don't think it's firefox. I am starting to think this may be a good time to download and give gusty and give a fresh install of gutsy a try.

Comment

This is just a random idea but maybe try deleting all the cookies for myspace. Doubt it will solve things but still.

Comment

I tried that, I delete all the cookies regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by heylookitsmewow

I am starting to think this may be a good time to download and give gusty and give a fresh install of gutsy a try.
            Probably true. It's not cookies, it's not the package manager, it's not your ISP or your router or your ethernet card or anything else on the hardware side ....

I dunno -- pretty hard to pin the tail on this donkey! I guess I'd be downloading a Gutsy Alternate Install CD ISO.

Comment

I reformatted and did a shiny new clean gutsy install. The install went smooth and everything looks fine except I still have the exact same internet problem. I also tried a CD boot and that had the same problem. Then I tried booting gutsy off the CD with another computer and the same exact problem there. So I am thinking it has nothing to do with my computer. I tried bypassing my router and plugging the ethernet directly into my ISP modem. Same problem there so it's not the router. Is it possible or probable that my internet provider could be having a problem that is all of a sudden that is causing problems with using Linux while Windows works just fine?

Comment

Hmmmmmm. I just thought of one thing -- I think *buntu comes with IP v6 enabled by default. I also think I've heard that that can be a source of problems (it hasn't been for me). And I'll bet your Windows does not have IP v6 enabled -- perhaps that's why Windows works and Kubuntu doesn't. So maybe if you can figure out how to disable/remove the IP v6, the problems would disappear.

Comment

BINGO!
                  Asus G1S-X3:
                  Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

dibl you are a genious, I think you are onto something with the ipv6 idea. I just followed integr8e's post and disabled ipv6 in Firefox and that fixed the internet problem except now I am back to the original Myspace problem. It's all working fine in Firefox as long as I stay away from Myspace. But outside Firefox accessing the internet is still a problem so I probably need to find a way to disable ipv6 on the whole system. I am finding some things about it on the internet but no clear newbie friendly instructions yet.

Could it be that my local ma and pa ISP is having problems with their ipv6 and that could have caused this problem all of a sudden? It would be nice to get some expert opinion of that before I bring it up to them.

Comment

Wow -- I think I'll go pour a martini and celebrate!

Seriously, I do not not know much about the IP v6 issue, I have just heard that it is a source of trouble for some ISPs and browsers. I'm glad that was your issue, and I wish I'd thought of it many days ago, before you got that extra re-installation practice.

I'd say let Mr. Google help you find out the ramifications and implications of it -- maybe your ISP could provide some advice on the subject, too.

Comment

Yes you go pour yourself a martini. I'd buy you one if you weren't so far away.

I figured out how to disable ipv6 at: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/We...ngSlowIPv6IPv4

All seems to be working well now except for the initial myspace problem is still happening. If I unplug the modem and plug it back in while myspace has the internet locked up it unlocks it and everything starts working again until I go to myspace again. So I am even more thinking this is an ISP problem. I'll have to give them a call Monday.

Thank you dibl and integr8e for the help!

Comment

You wouldn't happen to have the NoScript Firefox addon installed would you? Or be denying cookies to MySpace?
                          Asus G1S-X3:
                          Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

I had noscript but removed it long before this started and it's not on my new install and I am accepting all cookies.

Comment

Working...
                            X