This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu does not detect external HD anymore

Yesterday I was trying to figure out how to read-write to my Simpletech external harddrive. IT is currently formated as NTFS. I was trying to install the NTFS configuration tool last night, and I am not sure what happened, but now kubuntu does not even recognize the HD. it used to appear on the desktop when I turned it on, but now it doesn't.

So my questions are :

How do I get kubuntu to recognize this,
    and

how can i read/write this NTFS partition?

Thanks

Re: Kubuntu does not detect external HD anymore

If you're on a fresh Gutsy installation, I believe read/write support is now built in for NTFS. If not, you might want to check this out https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ntfs-3g. As for mounting your extermal disk, i might not be of much help but can you at least see it through Konqueror at media:/

I ask because my external disk do not show up on the desktop either unless at least one is mounted. we may have the same issue here. good luck!

Comment

Ok, if your problem is just its not automatically appearing on the desktop then you can remedy this as follows:
      kmenu>system settings>desktop>behavour>device icons tab>tick the box for 'mounted removable medium'
      that ought to do it

If however your problem is that it is actually not being recognised then this will take a little more. If this is the case then just let us know if the drive appears in kmenu>system settings>advanced>disk and file systems
      and we can work from there.

Originally posted by vbgunz
      external disk do not show up on the desktop either unless at least one is mounted
      Just do as the first paragraph of this post only tick the box for 'unmounted removable medium'.

Comment

Thank you banana, I went to the disk and file systems, found my device and manually mounted it. Everything is working fine now. I also went onto my windows partition and formatted the external hard drive to fat32 instead of ntfs, so that might have been it too. But I appreciate your help!

Comment

marshallbanana,

it doesn't matter what I check, uncheck, check all or uncheck all in device icons. external mounts and even hard disk never show up on the desktop until I mount at least one external device. only after mounting a single device, they all show up like they should on the desktop.

I always had this issue throughout Feisty and thought I messed up a configuration. A brand new installation about 4 hours ago to this post, shows the same exact behavior. What bugs me out is no one else is saying anything about it and I don't dare call it a bug

I think it is a bug but I do not know how to repeat it, except to newly install Gutsy and go straight to checking it out. :/

Comment

sorry vbgunz, but personally I have no way of testing on that one and finding a solution. Hopefully someone else has the answer.

Comment

Working...
            X