Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hal-storage-fixed-mount-all-option refused uid 999 - HELP!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hal-storage-fixed-mount-all-option refused uid 999 - HELP!

hello friends,

I got Kubuntu 7.10 downloaded from kubuntu website and before installing I decided to test live cd. I booted from the Kubuntu cd. I have one PATA drive and one SATA drive. Kubuntu recognised both drives but when I clicked on any one of the partitions I got this error :- hal-storage-fixed-mount-all-option refused uid 999

I am new to linux so can anyone help me out here?

Re: hal-storage-fixed-mount-all-option refused uid 999 - HELP!

You should be able to manually mount the drive.

If you aren't sure the /dev names for your drives then you can open a console window with

kmenu -> System -> konsole

and type

Code:
    lshw
    There should be disk sections for each disk and they will include logical name something like /dev/hda or /dev/sda

You should be able to tell which is which from the other details such as capacity.

Then in the same terminal window do

sudo mount /dev/whateverpropernameis /mnt

Then you can access the drive through the /mnt directory

If you want to mount multiple drives you can create separate directories in /mnt as mount points for each drive. For example:

sudo mkdir /mnt/pata
    sudo mkdir /mnt/sata

The names pata ,sata within the directory can actually be any name you want. for example /mnt/disk1 .

If you are confused by any of this post back with questions.

Comment

I just came across that issue as I was installing Kubuntu onto another computer. I needed to save some files from a Windows partition onto an external drive. Anyhow here is how I solved it.

Press Alt+F2. You'll get a run box. do not say kdesu konqueror as that will not work for some reason. do try entering konqueror and then clicking on the options button. enable run as a different user. choose the user root with no password and say OK.

it might take a while to see your disk but they should hopefully pop up in no time at all! Be very careful from this point out as any grave mistakes you make are yours to worry about. good luck

Comment

Hi. Here is exactly the same problem. I have tried Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon Live CD on my laptop Acer Aspire 1652LMI and in a virtual machine. My question is: will it mount the partitions properly after installing Kubuntu?

Comment

Is this an ntfs partition?

If so someone else will need to answer if you still need to go through the gyrations of installing the ntfs-3g package or not with gutsy.

Comment

Working...
          X