X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

External Hardrive Issues

Hello,

I'm trying to use an external hard drive i used to use on another windows machine. When plugging it into my laptop (which has windows) i'm able to see all the music on the hard drive, and it appears to be working correctly. But when i plug it into this machine (only using Kubuntu 7.10) it gives me this error at the bottom of dolphin:

hal-storage-removable-mount-all-options refused uid 1000

Obviously its having a problem mounting the harddrive, but how do i fix this?

Re: External Hardrive Issues

Open Adept Manager and select/install ntfs-config.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I have the same problem that he does. Does it have something to do with the ext HD's size? I can read my internal windows NTFS partition just fine, but I can't read the external, it still gives me that error when I try to mount it. I'm new, but I'm pretty sure that I have already installed ntsf-config and run it. Internal works external doesn't. Any Ideas? Thanks!
      .S. I am also using ubuntu 7.10

Comment

I don't think the size of the external HD is an issue, but, how large is it?

If you do/did have ntfs-config package installed, open System Settings | User Management
        You will have to active Administrator Mode.
        Click your user account and click Modify. Check that you have fuse in your secondary groups. If not, add it.

Comment

I added fuse to my secondary groups, it wasn't there to begin with. I have no idea what that is for but I did it. I still cannot open my ext HD. It is 500 GB, and is formatted in NTFS. Thanks for the prompt reply.

Comment

Did you verify, that in Adept Manager, you have ntfs-config installed?

This program allow you to easily configure all of your NTFS devices to allow write support via a friendly gui. For that use, it will configure them to use the open source ntfs-3g driver. You'll also be able to easily disable this feature.

Comment

i was also having this problem with the same error mess so i installed the ntfs-config with adept manager and then went into user acc and added fuse to the list then i went back and checked both again and still my drive is not recognised. is there an issue with adept manager not installing things even though it confims that it did ?? because this is the second thing i installed that it confirms but is not showing up.

Comment

I'll try this tonight, thanks snowdog.

Comment

You should be able to manually mount the drive. If you are confused about how to do this post and someone will help you.

Comment

For the NTFS formatted USB drives, in addition to installing the ntfs-3g package, and adding the user to the fuse group, you need to modify the mount line in /etc/fstab to reflect a "ntfs-3g" filesystem type, i.e.:

Code:
                    UUID=A8FC3435FC33FC5E 			 /media/MYUSBDRIVE ntfs-3g user,force,atime,rw,nosuid 0	 2

Comment

Assuming of course, that the USB drive(s) are actually present in the fstab file.

If you have more than one, there is a problem in that the /dev/xxxx designation that is assigned during boot changes for each attached USB drive, making it impossible (?) to add entries for them in fstab.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog

there is a problem in that the /dev/xxxx designation that is assigned during boot changes for each attached USB drive, making it impossible (?) to add entries for them in fstab.
                        Ah, true enough, but the UUID NEVER CHANGES!

Comment

True, but you use the UUID in the mount point portion of the fstab entry, not the device /dev/xxxx portion which is controlled by HAL, or do I have it totally wrong??

2007-10-25 19:27:00
                          Okay, I've answered my own question - I'm wrong. :P But that's okay, as I learned something. For anyone else who may (and I say may) have thought as I did, this Understanding fstab How to is excellent!

Comment

Working...
                          X