This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So NOOB that a NOOB would laugh at me

I just recently installed KUBUNTU, just to try it out and ran into some problems right after I installed it. Now let me tell you right off that i know NOTHING about Linux. I mean i don't even know what a kurnel is and what all this compiling stuff I keep hearing about. So here are my problems/things i would like to know how to do.

1) I have an SMC2662W Wireless USB addapter that works under windows. I tried finding the driver for this thing (for linux) with no luck.

2) After opening the built in browser and clicking the link (i think it's some sort of help link) after i scroll through some pages my entire screen turns pink. I tried going to the Nvidia web site to get the drivers but have a problem: It had a bunch of different Linux's to choose from. I chose the Linux AMD64/EM64T since I have an athlon 64 (didn't install it yet), but just want to know if that was the right one.

3) I would like to be able to watch all of my TV shows (absolutely 110% legally obtained and not downloaded from Pirate's Bay) that are in unpopular fomats. By the way, is it possible to play wmv files on linux?

Thank you very much for reading this, please respond because I want to start using KUBUNTU.

Re: So NOOB that a NOOB would laugh at me

With regard to 3), there are some very good media players available through the package manager, Adept: VLC can play most types of video and audio file; and MPlayer can too. Try either of these and see if it works (they can play most types of WMV file, too).

As for 2), if you installed the 64-bit Kubuntu, then you chose the right package. I think there are some other posts on the forum somewhere about all the possible pitfalls. I also think that some version of the nVidia drivers are available from the package manager.

No idea about 1), I'm sure someone else will be able to help.

Comment

how would i go about installing VLC? I went to their website and out of all the operating systems I could download for I couldn't find UBUNTU or KUBUNTU (there was red hat and a bunch of other linux). Also, i save my files from Windows onto my flash card (the same one my camera uses), but when i insert it when i have KUBUNTU running i get a new window with an error inside it.

Also, one last problem I have. After installing that linux booting program (the one that lists all operating systems and gives me 8 seconds to select an operating system or else it will launch the one selected). I would like to know how can I make Windows XP the primary operating system. I other words when I turn on the computer intead of KUBUNTU being selected automaticaly, I would like to have Windows XP highlited.

Thank you very much for your response

Comment

this is neat, at a console window type in sudo apt-get install synaptic

then when that is finished you should have a new program called synaptic package manager on your kmenu under system i believe.

open that up and you will be able to download most programs automatically without hassling with web browsing. i know vlc is there, and maybe some help with your drivers too.

you will want to update you /etc/apt/sources.list file too, someone will be along to tell you how to do that im sure.
        apt-get moo for more cowbell<br /><br />Intel Core 2 Duo 3.16 GHz<br />4 GB DDR2 RAM OCZ<br />EVGA Geforce 8800 GT<br />ASUS P5Q Deluxe Motherboard<br />Antec 900 Case<br />Creative Fatal1ty

Comment

Or, use Adept, which comes installed by default. You'll also need to make changes to your repositories: follow the instructions at http://www.psychocats.net/linux/sources.php.

As for booting... why would you want Windows as the default? (Joke!) Have a look in /boot/grub/menu.lst - but BE CAREFUL, if you go wrong in here it could be very, very difficult to start your computer...

Code:
          ## default num
          # Set the default entry to the entry number NUM. Numbering starts from 0, and
          # the entry number 0 is the default if the command is not used.
          #
          # You can specify 'saved' instead of a number. In this case, the default entry
          # is the entry saved with the command 'savedefault'.
          default     0
          Looks like the option you want is right at the start, called "default". Numbering starts from 0. So if Windows is the fourth option in the boot menu, put a 3 here.

Comment

thank you very much. Now if only I could connect to the internet with my SMC-2662A

Comment

sudo apt-get install vlc

Comment

I'm a complete NOOB as well.

How do I play mp3's? I went into adept and tried to find the packages that the Kubuntu FAQ said I needed, but I couldnt find 1 and the other was already installed.

Comment

Hi,

Did you enable multiverse repositories ? The package you're looking for can be inside...
                  You can do it in adept...

Cheers

Comment

I am an absolute noob too and you guys blew right past me...I hate to say it but if you break the steps down more clearly and cogently and not just say do this and it'll work - it would really help.

like click her - scrolldown choose this double click that and then type........when finished hit return, and hit the x to close or hit the B icon to close ro whatever it is - and then go to......that would be a lot easier - actually telling someone hoe to get to where you are telling them to go and explicity and cogently telling them every step of the way.

the problem is many people try to help and many people go for the help and when they try to do it and something goes awry, and then tries again and again they are digging themselves into a deeper pit of **** and then they are so far gone - the only thing to do is an install - windows allways made me do that - mac osx never affords me the chance. linux - I am waiting for my new laptop next week for the excited terror to begin.

and I have a Ph.D. and I do not understand a lot of this stuff.....

thanks in advance....

Comment

Hi K-9, et al,

As for adding new repositories, here's a more detailed explanation:

There is a file that lists all sources that apt will check for packages. It is called: /etc/apt/sources.list

This file is by default not set up to get packages in the "universe" or "multiverse" repositories. In order to add them you want to do the following:

1. Type in a console:
                      Code:
                      sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
                      This will open the nano file editor. Then add the following lines to the file (or un-comment):
                      Code:
                      deb [url]http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu[/url] hoary universe
                      deb-src [url]http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu[/url] hoary universe

deb [url]http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu[/url] hoary-security universe
                      deb-src [url]http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu[/url] hoary-security universe

deb [url]http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu[/url] hoary multiverse
                      deb-src [url]http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu[/url] hoary multiverse
                      Then exit the editor (CTRL-X)

2. In order for apt to recognize the new sources, you must update:
                      Type in a console:
                      Code:
                      sudo apt-get update
                      At this point, you should see apt connecting to the internet and refreshing its database.

3. Now apt is able to download and install packages. If you want to install VLC, type in:
                      Code:
                      sudo apt-get install vlc
                      or if you want mplayer, which is another good movie player:
                      Code:
                      sudo apt-get install mplayer
                      Hope this helps!

Comment

Working...
                      X