This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Login for the Gutsy Live cd?

Ok so I've downloaded the Gutsy Live Cd and every time I try to just run the Cd to see if it is something I want to install or not. It shows a Login window and I type in "ubuntu" then I press enter. The screen flashes and then it goes back to the login window with "ubuntu" already entered in the user name slot. Just like as if I didn't press a thing. If I press it again it does the exact same thing over again. So I don't know what I am doing wrong but I am trying to justify installing this OS instead of Windblows. I'm open to all and any advice.
    "If you get up in a quarrel everyday, You are saying prayers to the devil I say" - Bob Marley

Re: Login for the Gutsy Live cd?

You aren't doing anything wrong. It shouldn't be asking for a login to boot the live cd.
    If you have rebooted and tried it a couple of times then I would download kubuntu over again and burn a new disk at a low burn rate 4x or less.

Comment

Ok that sounds good, I am going to re download it tonight and try that.
      "If you get up in a quarrel everyday, You are saying prayers to the devil I say" - Bob Marley

Comment

AND make sure that your BIOS isn't set to boot from your HD first. If it is, then you aren't booting from the LiveCD, but your existing installation from your HD.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help I am in the live Cd right now typing this again thanks all!!

Comment

Can you tell us what solved the problem? This will allow us to better help the next person with the same problem.
            Was it the download or burn? Or did you do something else?

Comment

I have the same problem with 7.10 live CD. I am trying to upgrade my older kubuntu. This is my second download and burn. I also get and error message about authentication!!

One thing to note, I have a very OLD computer, I have to use apci=force.
              Programming since 1972

Comment

What version of *ubuntu do you have now? If it isn't Feisty, you can't perform an upgrade to Gutsy - you have to do a fresh install. If you try, you are going to bork your system.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I was planning to full install in a partition that only has the OS. I have /home in its own partition. I am staying in Kubuntu. BUT I can get past the login on the LIVE cd.
                  Programming since 1972

Comment

(1) Try to download the image through a bit torrent client. That way it will check the integrity of the download.

(2) Burn the image at the SLOWEST setting with the verify option enabled. It will make sure the checksums match. Personally, I use IMGBURN (google it). I have had the least amount of coasters (bad burns), with that program.

Hope that helps,
                    Doug

Comment

UPDATE: I tried on two other computers and It works fine. I even got the "boot" menu. I have installed and am running on the other computer. The first one still no go.
                      Programming since 1972

Comment

I would download and use the alternate install cd instead of the livecd.

Comment

I will give it a go. This will be the first time of 3 versions of K that I have to switch to the Alternative.
                          Programming since 1972

Comment

Working...
                          X