X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: not able to login to 7.04

Originally posted by ponygirldefiance
    i can;t login normally if i do i get just a Konsole window.
    Yes, that is what I meant by "there is no escaping doing some work in the CLI".

If you do "Ctl-Alt-F1" from the non-functioning GUI login screen, then you will be presented with a login prompt in text (aka Command Line Interface = CLI). If you boot "Recovery Mode" as Fintan has suggested, you will again be presented with the CLI, but you will be logging in as the "root" user. Either way will work -- then you need to follow my direction above to find some files that you can remove using the "rm" command. By reducing the number of files, you will restore the ability of the X server to run the GUI that you are accustomed to. I can't say how many files need to be deleted, but probably a few megabytes would be sufficient, more or less. You can only learn how many files deletions are sufficient by attempting the normal bootup after you delete a few files.

Comment

Re: not able to login to 7.04

I haven't seen this suggested as a possible contributor to the problem. Is it possible that the Trash isn't actually being deleted? Aged Hippy (I think) had this problem. The solution was to go into ~/.local/share/Trash and delete the contents of the two folders files and info (these two folders hold the deleted files, and are used for restoring if the Trash bin is not actually emptied. Some times, even when the Trash bin looks empty, one or both of these folders still has files in them, which of course, means that they are taking up disk space.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
      X