• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: not able to login to 7.04

Originally posted by dibl
    Originally posted by ponygirldefiance
    my swap partition is missing on here.
    Not necessarily -- swap won't show up in the "df" command. To double-check it, enter
    Code:
    blkid
    and I'll bet you see a swap partition.
    yes your right its there. it is not letting me login yet.

Comment

Well, keep trashing the files out of /home, and you should work your way back down to where it will let you back in.

If our earlier attempt to reconfigure your x server changed xorg.conf, you may have video issues that aren't directly related to the overloaded filesystem problem. :P

Comment

the only files i have left are my folders with my hard drives in them. no folders in the hard drive for linux but the other one has just the basic set up for windows in it i can delete that or i lose windows as well

any thoughts on what to delete?

Comment

If you really want to free up space, you can remove all the retrieved packages that were downloaded and installed. Open a konsole and type:
          Code:
          sudo apt-get clean
          Unlike apt-get autoclean, apt-get clean clears out the local repository of retrieved package files. It removes everything but the lock file from /var/cache/apt/archives/ and /var/cache/apt/archives/partial/.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

hold on lets slow down a minute.

Comment

You've cleaned out /home?

Can you get back to the root prompt and try another
              Code:
              sudo du -sh /*
              ? Hopefully we'll observe a root directory with a tad bit of free space.

Comment

i have tried the
                sudo apt-get clean it just went to the next line.

i tried the

du -sh
                it came back with this
                1.7m .

Comment

You need to type
                  sudo du -sh /*

Note the sudo before the du and the /* after the -sh
                  Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

4.8M /bin
                    17M /boot
                    0 /cdrom
                    120K /dev
                    8.2M /etc
                    5.1G /home
                    4.0K /initrd
                    0 /initrd.img
                    148M /lib
                    16K /lost+found

i get this

Comment

I agree that hdb1 wasn't mounted on /home during install as expected. There was an error there in setting that up.

Wouldn't the thing to do, at this point, be to boot into the livecd and manually mount the hdb1 and hdb3 partitions and then copy what can be saved off of the hdb3 partition out of /home to the hdb1 partition, which has plenty of space?

Once the home stuff has been salvaged couldn't you then change the fstab file to properly set up the hdb1 to mount to /home as originally intended?

Comment

i have noticed that all of my hard drives and cd roms are now unmounted. not sure why or when this happened

Comment

sorry just noticed it added some more to that post i sent here is the list.

root@The-Obedient-Computer:~# sudo du -sh /*
                          4.8M /bin
                          17M /boot
                          0 /cdrom
                          120K /dev
                          8.2M /etc
                          5.1G /home
                          4.0K /initrd
                          0 /initrd.img
                          148M /lib
                          16K /lost+found
                          10G /media
                          4.0K /mnt
                          4.0K /opt
                          0 /proc
                          1.8M /root
                          6.0M /sbin
                          4.0K /srv
                          0 /sys
                          68K /tmp
                          1.6G /usr
                          110M /var
                          0 /vmlinuz

Comment

Drat. It still shows 5.1GB in /home, same as an hour ago when you first looked, and I think you've been deleting files from there, right? Something is still haywire.

Opie, there is 757MB of data already in /dev/hdb3, which is presently mounted as /media. If she does not care about that "media" stuff, or if she can back it up on a couple of CD's, and then delete it, then yes, it would be possible to change that to be the partition that gets mounted as /home by changing it in fstab.

Comment

here is where i stand with this pc.

i have windows on one side and linux on this side.
                              i am working with microsoft to try to fix it. if i can not fix windows soon i'll wipe it out and put in another copy of windows but trying to save windows at this point.

this linux system has nothing on it i am just curious what caused this issue and was hoping to learn from it as when i have microsoft finished i planned on wiping out this 7.04 and installing both 7.04 and 7.10 just to play with both of them but i can not do that until windows is fixed so until then i am free to destroy this OS if that is what happens i have nothing to lose and everything to gain here.

Comment

" If she does not care about that "media" stuff, or if she can back it up on a couple of CD's, and then delete it, then yes, it would be possible to change that to be the partition that gets mounted as /home by changing it in fstab"

I'm not clear on why everything would have to be deleted from that big partition presently mounted on /media. Rather the /home directory on the 7GB partition would need to be cleared wouldn't it?

If she moves some of the data clogging up her 7GB partition, especially what is presently /home, to that large free partition she should then be able to mount that large partition later at /home without having to wipe its contents shouldn't she?

Otherwise this would defeat the whole purpose of creating a separate home partition so you can easily salvage it when reinstalling?

Comment

Working...
                                X