This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firewalls?

Can someone tell me what the default Firewall App for Gutsy Gibbon Ku is, because WoW patches are remarkably slow. I know for a fact that my Router is set correctly, and I just can't find the firewall program that Ku boasts.

Re: Firewalls?

By default, *ubuntu uses iptables. Having a separate firewall application on a home system isn't necessary.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

How can I go about modifying those IP Tables to allow certain ports through, because even at firewalled, Ku is insanely fast on DL speed, they really rape my Comcast connect, I get what I'm told, 2MB/S.

Comment

From a Google search. May be helpful.

Linux Iptables: How to specify a range of IP addresses or ports

Comment

And a Ubuntu specific link:

IPTables HowTo

Comment

Or:

Installing a firewall on Ubuntu

The two GUI apps discussed in this link are available in Adept Manager for installation.

Comment

Packet filtering is part of the kernel. It is important to understand that there is no default firewall in the sense that, unless you set up rules or install a front end for it, the packet filtering allows everything.

You don't need to mess with writing iptables rules manually.
              I used to use firestarter. I now use guarddog.

Your problems, however, shouldn't have anything to do with the packet filtering if you haven't done anything to alter default rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                By default, *ubuntu uses iptables. Having a separate firewall application on a home system isn't necessary.
                by home system do you mean a stand alone computer not on a network? I am connected by ethernet to a linksys wireless router but there are no other computers on my network. Is it advisable to use another firewall in this situation? I'm new to linux and things seem to be working fine, but I'm afraid to mess things up.TIA

Comment

There might be issues with your comcast connection when downloading WoW updates. Does WoW use a torrent connection?

http://www.geek.com/comcast-blocks-bit-torrent-traffic/

Mike
                  http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

While Linux is not immune from virus's, the number of virus written for Linux systems, as compared to Windoze, is very small. The risk to a Linux system is also very small.

A greater (relative) risk to a Linux system may exist if it also has a Windoze OS (multi-boot configuration) installed. Probably the single biggest risk in this configuration (Windoze and Linux on the same HD) is to the MBR (Master Boot Record) on the booting HD. If, while operating the Windoze OS, you were to receive a virus that affects/attacks the MBR, you would loose access (temporarily - it is fixable) to either OS.

If you are running only Linux on your system, then the need for a firewall program (Guarddog, Firestarter, ...) really isn't necessary. But, having one installed won't hurt either, if only to provide 'peace of mind' to the user.

Comment

Working...
                    X