This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual Monitors

I have Kubuntu set up at a computer at work to prove that we can run Kubuntu in place of windows. So far so good.
    I do however need help on dual monitors. I am using a dell latitude d600 with a docking station and the second monitor is a Gateway 17" DVI model fpd1765 .
    The docking station has dvi output and I use it in windows but Kubuntu will not see it attached. Thank you in advance for the help.

Re: Dual Monitors

I have a very similar setup and am having a similar problem. I have a Dell Latitude D520 with the D/Port dock and a Dell 1907FP 19" monitor attached using the DVI port on the dock.

I can swap between the laptop display and the 19" using the Fn-F8 button (CRT/LCD button), but when it occasionally decides to display on both (rarely works at all) it is just a clone, and I only have a mouse cursor on one display.

I found that I can go into System Settings - Display, and there is an option for a second screen. Once that is checked, you can select between clone or dual screen. In order to change those fields you need to click the Administrator Mode button and enter the root pasword.

Here's where I'm stumped: Once in the administrator mode, no matter what I do, the Apply button remains disabled.

Any ideas?

Comment

Re: Dual Monitors

I had a similar problem, but it turns out the reason had something to do with the fact that i had allocated too much of my RAM to my video card.

But it doesn't seem to make a difference... for mine, when I enable dual-screen (not clone) and apply it, it tells me to restart x-org. When I do so, it doesn't start back up again. And I don't know how to build an xorg.conf to make it run two monitors. I'm a linux noob. xD

From what I can tell, it's better to try to build a working xorg.conf file instead of hoping the GUI will do what you want. And that way, if something goes wrong, you'll have a better idea of how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
      X