Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I connect to wireless network at boot?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I connect to wireless network at boot?

First off, props to OPIE for his help getting the card working.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3087415.0

Now, every time I boot Linux i have to launch wlassistant, enter my password, and select the network I want to connect to. Is there an easy way to automate this at start-up? Please keep in mind that the most complicated step in setting up the card was right-clicking on a DEB file.
    Toshiba Satellite 2800 P3M Coppermine @1GHz 256MB RAM GeForce 2 GO with 16MB DDR

Re: How do I connect to wireless network at boot?

Try Kwifimanager. It sits in your tray and monitors your connection(s). You can also scan, enter essid's, passwords etc.I use to use when i was wireless and it worked great. I still use it on another box.

eriefisher
    ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Originally posted by eriefisher
      Try Kwifimanager. It sits in your tray and monitors your connection(s). You can also scan, enter essid's, passwords etc.I use to use when i was wireless and it worked great. I still use it on another box.

eriefisher
      I tried. It failed.

I installed it and used the Configuration Editor to set up Config 1 for my wireless network and selected [X] to load Config 1 at startup. After rebooting it was in the tray but i was not connected. SSID was blank, access point was unknown and local IP was not available. I opened the Configuration Editor and clicked on [Activate] for Config 1 and I got an ESSID and MAC for the AP but Local IP was still not available. With the Kwifimanager window open I ran wlassistant to connect, and the Local IP populated in the Kwifimanager window.
      Toshiba Satellite 2800 P3M Coppermine @1GHz 256MB RAM GeForce 2 GO with 16MB DDR

Comment

I use knetworkmanager, kubuntus default. The password for it will be stored in kwallet which is opening on startup anyway and it then connects automatically to the network.

Comment

Originally posted by marshallbanana
          I use knetworkmanager, kubuntus default. The password for it will be stored in kwallet which is opening on startup anyway and it then connects automatically to the network.
          Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, knetworkmanager didn't work with my WiFi card which is why I switched to wlassistant.

Comment

I figured it out. I was trying too hard, expecting to have to install something or muck under the hood. It was in the menus.

K Menu > System Settings > General > Network & Connectivity > Network Settings > Network Connections

While I had a connection I went to Administrator mode, selected wlan0, clicked [Configure Interface], entered the appropriate settings, clicked [X] Activate when the computer starts, then clicked [Apply]. I was greeted with an error that my default gateway IP address was invalid. I went hunting until I found it under Routes and guessed that the IP for my router would work. I guessed right.

Thank you all for your help.

Comment

Working...
            X