This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help!!! with internet connection

I think it is likely that you have a known problem with that realtek controller and dual booting.

This will require you to change a setting in WINDOWS, Not kubuntu.

When you next boot into windows go into the device manager and your realtek networking. In the advanced tab there should be something about "Wake on LAN after shutdown" or something about WOL or wake up. You want to enable this. This way windows won't disable this on shutdown, in which case linux doesn't bring it back up again.

If this doesn't solve it then try shutting down your machine, UNPLUGGING the machine for a few minutes to reset, and bringing the machine back up in kubuntu. NOTE: You need to uplug it, not just turn it off and if you boot into windows after doing this then you will be back to the same problem.

Let us know the results.

Comment

how do i go into device manager
      Kubuntu 8.04 <br />Dual-Boot w/ XP<br />Intel Core 2 Duo E6500<br />nVidia 8400GS 256mb<br />2GB DDR2<br />Ubuntu User #21847<br />Linux User #467409

Comment

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...p_dev_mgr.mspx

Comment

ok...that worked
          now i need to know how to install mozilla firefox step by step
          Kubuntu 8.04 <br />Dual-Boot w/ XP<br />Intel Core 2 Duo E6500<br />nVidia 8400GS 256mb<br />2GB DDR2<br />Ubuntu User #21847<br />Linux User #467409

Comment

I don't think the version in the repositories is that outdated. That would be easiest. You would just use the adept package manager (kmenu-system-adept). Adept takes care of dependencies so you don't have to worry about installing any firefox support libraries etc. Just install firefox itself and adept should handle the rest.

If you must have the latest version and want to go to more trouble see this link:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FirefoxNewVersion

Comment

actually i need help installing any program in general preferably by the terminal

Comment

You really should utilize the default package manager - Adept Manager - for installing packages. There are over 20,000 packages to choose from! Yes, not everything that you may want will necessarily be listed in Adept Manager. That can be because the desired package has not been written/ported to run in *ubuntu or is in a repository other than what has been identified in Adept Manager - and that can be remedied.

Installing packages via the CLI (command line), while doable, does (in some cases) require more than a casual knowledge of *ubuntu.

What packages/programs are you wanting to install?
                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

try to go on some one else's computer and buy one on eBay i got my internet from there
                  I love fairy&#39;s i would love to become one as they are so beautiful and special. I changed my name it used to be amber123.

Comment

Working...
                  X