This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

which plug-ins?

How does one know which plug-ins to select for java, flash, etc.?

I know that java is a big issue since it has so many derivatives and alternatives. Sun java and other 'types' of java. I went to the 'Sun' page to test my java version but there is a 'click here to download plugin' so I guess I don't have the right one yet?

I think I will wait for a response to this inquiry before messing around with my packages. ;-) I am guessing I choose from one of the universe repositories? I am more used to synaptic so I installed that and am using that rather than Adept Manager for now. If anyone knows where I go from here (for the correct java and a good way to install), please let me know. I appreciate it! I guess you can install from the web page but isn't the preferred method to use a package manager?

However, I installed 'Flash' in that way. Macromedia Flash. Not sure that was wise but we'll see...

If there are any other plug-ins to download or if someone could also suggest installation methods of any other ones that are popular and useful, please also mention. Thanks!

In the meantime, I will google and search the forums.

Edit: One of these?:
    j2re1.4 or
    j2re1.4-mozilla-plugin?

Re: which plug-ins?

Personally I install the following three (this is the command line command for them)
    sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-fonts

Because the install sometimes doesn't put the necessary shortcut in the firefox folder then just run the following to commands to do this
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /etc/alternatives/mozilla-javaplugin.so
    sudo ln -s /etc/alternatives/mozilla-javaplugin.so /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/mozilla-javaplugin.so

As for flash, I find the easiest thing (if you only need it for browsing) is just to direct firefox to any site with flash and click on the message about installing the missing plugin and do it from there

Comment

Working...
    X