This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So you want to install a program?

just check it out and see if it has had any reviews working with linux or the version you are running. i have been told that debian is pretty safe to use. i have used some of the appilcations from them and they have worked well. just be careful and a little research nevers hurts.

Comment

ahurd -

The preferred method is package installation via Adept Manager and/or Synaptic. But, if you find a package not listed in either, and it is a .deb or .tar.gz, then follow the suggestion as made concerning such by dibl earlier in this thread.

Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I'm brand new to Kubuntu and just installed 7.10. I've been going crazy trying to figure out how to work on Adept and from what I've read, Synaptic is easier for noobs. Using Adept I can't seem to find Synaptic from the program list. Can someone walk me through the Synaptic installation procedure?
        I really appreciate the help.

Comment

First thing you want to do, is ensure that in K Menu | System | Adept Manager | Adept | Manage Repositories | Third-Party Software that the CD option is unchecked/removed (your choice). With that done, click on Fetch Updates That done, search Adept Manger for Synaptic which should be there, and can be selected for installation.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
          X