This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So you want to install a program?

Yes, there is more than one way to install a program (called a package) in Kubuntu. But, if you are new to Kubuntu, then do your self a favor (and avoid the frustration that will result if you don't) and use Adept Manager to search for any package you want to install. Adept Manager is the default package manager for Kubuntu. If a desired program (package) can not be found in Adept Manager, it generally means one of two things:

1) it isn't available within the enabled repositories in Adept Manager or,
    2) it isn't a program (package) that has been 'ported' (built to run) on a Debian based Linux system, which Kubuntu is.

One of the first things you must learn/accept, is that not every program you have used or seen before moving over to Kubuntu will necessarily have been written to run on Kubuntu.

The first package you may want to install with Adept Manager, is Synaptic:
    Graphical package manager

Synaptic is a graphical package management tool based on GTK+ and APT. Synaptic enables you to install, upgrade and remove software packages in a user friendly way.

Besides these basic functions the following features are provided: * Search and filter the list of available packages * Perform smart system upgrades * Fix broken package dependencies * Edit the list of used repositories (sources.list) * Download the latest changelog of a package * Configure packages through the debconf system * Browse all available documentation related to a package (dwww is required)
    Adept Manager and/or Synaptic will do you just fine. You can use either or both with out any issues. And finally, a note of caution/warning:

Until you are more familiar with Kubuntu and how everything works, avoid installing and using Automatix as a package manager. Automatix is not available though Adept Manager (gee, I wonder why ) If installed and used, it will end up causing you some serious grief with your installed system. Check the forum.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: So you want to install a program?

Has anyone tried using any of the debian repos. I've noticed that a lot of the packages are more current that some of the ones available with the kubuntu repos. Just curious.

eriefisher
    ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

ok i'll bite no pun intended what is repo for on kubuntu or debian. I have not seen it for either one. So this is something thats new to me. Thanks

Comment

One must again keep in mind, that just because a newer debian package than is listed in Adept Manager may be found in the debian repos, doesn't mean that newer version is designed for your version of *ubuntu you are running. Again, if you have an installed package on your system that was selected via Adept Manager, then any updates designed for and released for use on your system will show up in Adept Manager.

This is another area in which new users get them selves into trouble - they find a newer package 'outside of Adept Manager' for a package they have installed, and finding that Adept Manager doesn't list the newer package, even after fetching updates, think they can pull the newer package via apt-get in order to have the 'latest and greatest' and find that it either won't install, or if it does, that it breaks the program or others on their system.

Comment

Originally posted by ponygirldefiance
          ok i'll bite no pun intended what is repo for on kubuntu or debian. I have not seen it for either one. So this is something thats new to me. Thanks
          See What are Repositories?

Comment

thanks for the link. it explained a lot. the question i still have is how is the best way to know if a program i find outside of the adept program is going to be compatible or not without just installing it to find out?

Comment

The best thing to do would be to search and see if it has been tested on *buntu. Some packages do give specific instructions for *buntu or have at least been test on certain versions of it. The repos contain enough software to satisfy most users one way or another.

eriefisher

Comment

Originally posted by ponygirldefiance
                the question i still have is how is the best way to know if a program i find outside of the adept program is going to be compatible or not without just installing it to find out?
                Best advice for the newish user:

1. Set up the Medibuntu repo, along with your standard *buntu repos (and NOT Automatix):

http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/

Click on the "Repository How-To" tab, and then paste in the 2 commands for your version. Hint: the "Feisty" repo works for Gutsy too.

2. Outside of the repos, including Medibuntu, limit your consideration to Debian packages -- they will be obvious once you get the hang of it -- they all end in .deb or .tar.gz.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                  Hint: the "Feisty" repo works for Gutsy too.
                  Just for kicks I changed Feisty to Gutsy for the medibuntu repo and it worked. Got updates for the gutsy packages.

eriefisher

Comment

thank you both for that info and the link. just trying to learn as much as i can before i do something i'll regret later on.

Comment

Snowhog
                      Virtual Box doesn't show up on Adept but they have a deb file to install. Would that be safe?

Comment

Virtual box is in the repos(universe). What version are you using?

eriefisher

Comment

I just want to install whatever version is available for kubuntu. I looked at all the sources in synaptic and didn't find VB.

Comment

debian seems to have a virtual box. you can find the site at www.debian.org go to the search box in the left column. i typed in virtual box and that took me to the search page as it said there page is done. so i typed it in again and it listed vitual boxes but you will have to pick the one that fits your pc. hope this helps.

Comment

I knew I could download deb versions of VB but this thread made me think I should only go for packages installable via adept or syntactic, hence my query whether it was safe to download and install a deb package not available on adept.

Comment

Working...
                              X