X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Partitions

Dibl

so in your opinion what is the best grub program out there for running multiple systems on a machine? thanks

Comment

I have not experimented with alternative booting programs, although I know they exist. And I feel for folks trying to dual-boot Vista because it appears to be somewhat more of a handful to work with than Win XP.

I inadvertently got myself into a situation over the past weekend where Kubuntu installed LILO (don't ask why -- it's too complicated, and has to do with XFS experiments). But, when I observed LILO starting up, it was a flashback to 1992 and SCO Unix 386 -- I recognized it instantly. You think Grub is hard to work with? .........

Anyway, Grub seems to be a workable system to do multiple-boot setups, once you get the hang of it. I keep Qqmike's excellent tutorial close at hand:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0

Comment

ok thanks then i'll stick with grub then and keep a copy of that tutorial myself.

btw how is your experiment going with the xfs and i believe it was another one you were going to try as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ponygirldefiance

btw how is your experiment going with the xfs and i believe it was another one you were going to try as well.
          Yes, it's running fine on the XFS filesystem, as far as I can tell after only a few days. Here's my little report:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3087434.0

I have noticed one phenomenon that I think probably relates to the XFS filesystem. I've set up my VMWare Player Win XP virtual machine, and it's all working perfectly to run my big genealogy database. But I noticed that the VMWare Player takes WAYYYYYYYY longer to shut down than it ever did before -- like 5 minutes now versus 15 seconds before, when it was on a reiserfs filesystem. That's the only different behavior that I've observed on my system -- it must be something to do with the way VMWare makes the "virtual hard drive" for Win XP, on top of the XFS filesystem.

I'm going to keep running it this way for awhile, and see if anything else develops.

Comment

thanks for the update and the link. its good to know there are alternatives out there that work pretty well.

Comment

Working...
            X