This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help the NOOB

I am really anxious to jump into this. I am not a slouch when it comes to computers; and I have been running XP for years. I recently went to the Ohio Linux Fest and learned a lot about Linux and want to jump in feet first.

I loaded the Kubuntu 7.04 live CD today to play around and see how it will work for me. I ran into a few issues that I need to address before I go the whole hog and install it. Here are the issues (don't worry, I'll post my system specs at the end )

1.) From the live CD I could not use my DVI output. This is important to me because this computer will ultimately be a media center and hooked up to my HDTV. My TV is a Samsung 32" HD and I can get the full model should anyone need it. Using XP I bought a DVI to HDMI cable and it worked great. I want the same results from Kubuntu. When running the live CD, the VGA worked by default.

2.) When testing the sample .ogg files, I got no sound. I need to address this for the same reasons listed above. The system is currently wired into my home theater using analog cables.

3.) I know this will be the easiest. I use a wireless bluetooth mouse and keyboard and need to make sure I can get those running as well.

Those are my most important issues. Now for what I have:

Pentium 4 CPU
    2.80 GHz
    1.00 GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce FX5500 256MB onboard DDR RAM
    Creative Audigy soundcard, not sure of the exact model. Its older though and I can pull it out and look if its important.

Currently using XP Pro Edition. I have the computer hooked up to my TV (as a monitor) and my home theater for sound and have had very little problems. I am getting into this slowly. I recently got a nasty virus on my computer that I thought I was gonna have to reformat it to get rid of it. Fortunately I used my mojo and got rid of the virus without a reformat; but I don't want to go through it again and I know Linux to be a little less susceptible to that; and I have a lot of friends who use Ubuntu and Kubuntu. I decided on Kubuntu to get started and I hope you guys can help me get up and running soon!

Sorry for the long post...but like I said, I'm anxious to get started.

P.S. A secondary condition I have is that I'd like to get this on the home network. All my other computers are XP and can't be changed (they are my wife's and she refuses ) But lets get the computer working first!

Re: Help the NOOB

For #1. I use an nvidia card (6600 AGP) with DVI, this works with the live CD. Are you booting with the DVI or RGB connected? or both? I have mine connected to DVI when booting (well, always to be exact). Post more information for this please.

For #2. I have issues with my Live 5.1 not working sometimes. This occurs when ALSA is trying to use the onboard sound card which doesn't have any speakers connected to. I fix this by simply disabling the onboard sound in the BIOS.

Those are the only two I have real experience with. Other than a little networking with WinXP, which samba does fairly well with.

Mike
    http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

I use the Nvidia GeForce FX 5500...it is AGP. When I first ran the live CD, I was running with DVI and VGA both and I got an immediate error, it was just a flashing screen, almost like it was calibrating, but then didn't work. When I unplugged the DVI, it worked like gangbusters with the VGA. When I tried to adjust the video settings I couldn't find any options to enable TV viewing or activate the DVI. My next step was to shut down and reboot using just the DVI. This is problematic, because when using the TV as a monitor (remember that it is HDMI to DVI) you don't get anything until the O/S Loads. I let it load from the live CD and boot into Kubuntu and nothing came up on the screen, so I'm reasonably certain that there is something I'm missing.

My theory is that I will have to install Kubuntu fully and then download a Linux driver for the card from Nvidia's website. Can anyone confirm that for me?

Comment

Sounds about right -- the Envy script installer might work, too.

Comment

What is the Envy script installer? I am REALLY new at this!

Comment

http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

Download the file "envy_0.9.7-0ubuntu12_all.deb" (down the page a bit), save it to your Desktop, right-click it, choose "Open With>Gdebi Package Installer" and install it. It will put an icon in your KMenu>System folder. Also you can run it at a text prompt with
            Code:
            sudo envy -t
            (this is VERY important to remember).

Run Envy and follow the prompts to install the Nvidia driver. It's pretty straighforward. Let us know if you hit a problem.

Comment

I wouldn't trust envy. (Maybe it's the name )
              I install drivers using restricted-manager. Gutsy has it by default (for KDE).
              However this is still a beta version, but I had no problems yet
              Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Comment

Working...
              X