This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kde machine

Can someone tell me a motherboard and cpu with onboard sound, video, and 10/100 that is completly copatable with the cd ran KDE? I want to setup a uninfectable machine for web access! I.E. not have to mess with drivers and such cause it will all be ran off CD! Thank you!

Re: kde machine

I've only tried the Kubuntu live cd on a few different mb's, but it ran fine on all of them (including those that had onboard everything). Have you had an experience in which the live cd didn't run properly off a motherboard?
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

yes i have we could not get the networking to work? we figured it was the MB!

Comment

ok we are using a asus p5vd2 mb and the internet is slooowww. any suggestions?

Comment

No problems with my Intel mobo, but it cost $$$! :P

I think a lot of folks are using Asus boards -- not sure about the models and chipsets. I remember there were issues with Intel P965-series chipsets earlier this year, with Feisty, I believe.

Comment

The problem is probably with your onboard ethernet; I had a problem with slow internet on my old all-in-one (it's now my sister's); I fixed it by installing a better quality ethernet pci card. (most onboard stuff seems to be low quality)
            Asus G1S-X3:
            Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

I'm running a Biostar (yeah go figure) mobo with integrated lan, video and sound. I had a little trouble at first with the lan however once I figured out the problem everything worked well.

Comment

java and flash do not seem to work? any ideas?

Comment

If you're running the 64bit version, click here to download the Nspluginwrapper that will allow you to install the 32bit version of Flash on your 64bit version of Firefox; just follow the instructions below:

1. Download the script.
                  2. Right click on the tar.gz and select "Extract Here"
                  3. Close all browsers.
                  4. Inside the folder that extracts is a "GetFlash" file, double click on it.
                  5. Select "Run in Terminal"
                  6. When the terminal closes, restart your browser.
                  7. Your done.

As for Java, if you haven't already, install the "j2re1.4-mozilla-plugin" package through Adept; this should get you up-and-running

Also get "mozilla-mplayer", "mozilla-plugin-gnash" and "mozilla-plugin-vlc" if those are applicable to your setup. (thx dibl)

Let me know if these are helpful.
                  Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Working...
                  X