This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CPU persistently runs at 100%, w/out Strigi

I'm not sure why, but at times, my CPU top-lines and runs at 100% nonstop. The only thing that fixes it is a reboot, not restart X, but a full reboot. I've always had this problem; though I've reinstalled the whole thing several times, it persists. I tried using the 'top' command in Konsole, but that doesn't show anything consuming 100% of my CPU, nevertheless, something is. It's not Strigi, been there done that, and don't have it anymore; I had this problem before I had Strigi installed and continue to have it now Strigi is uninstalled. Can somebody please help me, this bug is aggravating the mess out of me :P
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Re: CPU persistently runs at 100%, w/out Strigi

I also have a problem with kde and cpu.
    When I leave kde session on for the night, when I come back I see that cpu is used
    100% and if I click anything, the system freezes.

I don't have this problem with gnome session, though. So I'm running kdesktop, kicker and kwin on gnome session. I have no idea why that happens with kde.
    Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Comment

Maybe it's CPU related. What type of CPU are you using? I've got an AMD Athlon 64 4000+ (single core).

Edit: Actually, everybody who reads this post, please specify what kind of CPU you have and if you've had this problem. Let's try to narrow this bugger down :-)
      Asus G1S-X3:
      Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Intel Pentium 4, 2.6 GHz , dual core.

I have been using KDE for more than 6 months now, and this problem is only a week old.
        I have no means to reinstall because my CD-ROM is not reading/writing properly anymore(I'm planning to get a new one on Monday).
        Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Comment

Trust me, re-installation doesn't help anything, it's an incredibly stubborn, persistent bug. If it's not the CPU architecture, it must be something else. Is anybody else experiencing the same problem?
          Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

I don't have this problem myself but my first thought is, are you using the i386 or 64-bit version of Kubuntu?

I'm not one that could be able to fix this issue, but besides the processor type you have you should probably say what version of the system you're using, type of ram you are using, if you are running on a PC or laptop... etc

since I don't have the problem, I'll give you my specs

Laptop
            i386 Kubuntu 7.04
            512mb DDR2 RAM
            1.6GHz Intel Celeron M 420
            Intel GMA 950 integrated graphics

Comment

It must be a 64bit problem because I'm using the 64bit version of Kubuntu (I would guess Gediminas2 is too with his P4 dual core, 2.6Ghz )
              Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Open your Konsole, and run
                Code:
                This displays running processes in descending order of resource-sucking.

Then you can mush your Konsole window down into the corner somewhere where you can keep an eye on it. When the CPU floods, you will be able to see the guilty perpetrator process, and then you can focus your effort on why it's acting like that.

Comment

I've tried that, it usually doesn't show anything above 30% CPU usage, and when it does, it's never over 60 or 70
                  Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

You aren't necessarily looking for a process that is using 90-100% cpu. When the system bogs down there should be one or two processes that are showing a consistent rise in usage. It may only be 70%, but if it is staying there and not dropping then that would be your prime suspect.

Comment

Makes sense, I'll try the 'top' method again and keep y'all posted.
                      Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

So I finally bought a new DVD-ROM drive, installed Kubuntu gutsy beta, and suprise surprise! After running overnight it didn't crash. I'm now installing updates, hope they won't make things worse.

I am using the i386 version Linux, as my processor is only 32 bit.

My PC Specs are:
                        Intel Pentium 4, 2.6 GHz (dual core)
                        2 x 512 MB DDR RAM
                        Nvidia GeForce FX 5600XT
                        Kubuntu 7.10 (gutsy) beta -- i386

Comment

I agree with opie -- you aren't likely to ever see 100% CPU on one Linux process, like you used to see in Windows. If it sits at 60% and doesn't give it up after one or two top refreshes, that's a problem process, as far as your use of the system.

I noticed Compiz gets pretty hoggy at times, momentarily, but when you leave the mouse and keyboard alone it settles back down. But, if it's something that builds up while you are away from the system, then that's a configuration issue that you need to try to chase down. I wonder if it could be related to power management -- is that a laptop or desktop? If desktop, potentially you could open your KMenu>System Settings>Advanced>Services and carefully disable (one at a time, and then test) the services that appear to be all about power saving capabilities. Also I noticed Bluetooth was turned on by default in Gutsy, and I don't use it, so it's off now.

Comment

I think I found the problem; my system was running a process called "powernowd", which after some research is apparently a process used in throttling the CPU on laptops to conserve power. It was designed for CPU's with either the AMD PowerNow or Pentium M technology, which are both mobile CPU's (I have a desktop). I disabled it and rebooted, and my system's running fine; as to whether or not this is the culprit, I suppose I'll have to wait till tomorrow to see. I'll keep y'all posted.
                            Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Good catch -- I'll bet powernowd was the culprit!

Comment

Working...
                              X