This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newb help - DNS and Screen resolution help. [SOLVED]

I've messed around with Fedora Linux and Gentoo a tiny bit but other than that I have little to no experience.

I currently have two problems. The first is that while I seem to be connected to the network with DHCP working fine, I can't get to anything except through it's IP address so my guess is that I need to set up some DNS settings or something. How do I do this?

My second problem is that at 1024x768 I can only set my refresh rate to 60 (I should be able to go to 85). and I can't set my resolution above that. I'd like to be able to set my resolution to 1152x864 at 75Hz. How would I go about doing that?

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Re: Newb help - DNS and Screen resolution help.

Hello. Not sure how to help you with your DNS problem.

As for your resolution/refresh rate problem though I think you'll be needing to run the xorg config again. Do this by typing

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

into the console. Just follow it through step by step and it should give you the options to fix your resolution and change the refresh rate.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Re: Newb help - DNS and Screen resolution help. [SOLVED]

Thanks, that fixed it. The DNS problem turned out to be a bug with my router's configuration that I forgot to change last time I reset it so now both of those problems are fixed.

Comment

Re: Newb help - DNS and Screen resolution help. [SOLVED]

To set dns goto menu> system settings>network settings and check to see if your dns server is correct if not change yo correct settings
        Regards
        Sharke
        System Kubuntu Hardy Kde 3.5<br />Intel core2 Duo (conroe)<br />Asrock MB Conroe945G-DVI<br />Mem 2.0Gig<br />Graphics Intel Media Excellerator 950<br />Audio Realtdk Alc888 7.1 High Definition

Comment

Working...
        X