X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cannot play audio files

hello world!

am kinda new to linux.. wanted to see what its all about

i installed kubuntu 6.06 in virtualbox1.5 on a xp host.

almost everything is fine except that i get no sound when playing audio cd s or video files..

but i do get a sound when kubuntu starts.. n in the sounds settings, i tried the midi file test, n even that played!
    wat to do from here? help plz!

Re: cannot play audio files

Here's a real comprehensive writeup:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449

Sounds like maybe it is issues with "non-free codecs" that you need to play .wav and .mp3 formats. If that's the problem, just add the Medibuntu repository (google it, go there, follow instruction to add the repo), and then you can simply add the packages you need.

Comment

As to DVDs, check my HOWTO: Get commercial DVD playback in Kaffeine here. Keep in mind, you are using an older version of Kubuntu. However, the needed packages should still be the same.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

huh i did the medibuntu thingy..still no success..

in kaffeine player, its set on mute.. i cant unmute it.. :S
        as if its set permanently on mute.. :S

wat do do nw?

Comment

Did you install the libxine-extracodecs package?

Comment

how do i install this package?

Comment

How to install the package:

K-Menu --> System --> Adept Manager. Type in your password, then click "Fetch Updates". When Adept is done updating the file lists, type libxine-extracodecs in the search field. After a moment you should see "libxine-extracodecs" in the lower area. Click on the blue arrow next to it, click on "Request Install" and then on "Apply Changes" (at the top). This should download libxine-extracodecs and install it. MP3 support should be working after this.

PS. I don't know if this works in a virtual box under Windows. This could be a problem that is not related to Kubuntu. But those steps work in a "normal" Kubuntu installation, provided the sound hardware is recognized. I know nothing about virtual systems, though.

Comment

oh yeah updating the packages n installing the libxine-extra codecs did the tricks... thnx mivo.. thnx all

Comment

Working...
                X