This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resolution problems . . .

I have an Nvidia GeForce 7300GS graphics card and the nvidia proprietary driver and Nvidia-Settings associated installed on my computer. The resolution I prefer is 1280x1024 @ 75Hz, however, each time my computer reboots, it resets the resolution to 1152x864 @ 83Hz; also, the themes I use for SuperKaramba will not display correctly until I go into Nvidia-Settings and change the resolution back to 1280x1024 @ 75Hz. How can I fix this?
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Re: Resolution problems . . .

Alt-F2, then

Code:
    sudo nvidia-settings
    Now click the "X Server Display Configuration" tab. Click "detect displays" then set the resolution as you wish. I recommend you leave the refresh button alone -- or leave it set on "auto".

Down in the lower right corner of that panel is the "Save to X Configuration File" button -- click that when you are done, then click "save" and you're finished.

Now the driver will default to your chosen resolution.

Comment

I've just tried leaving the resolution first at auto and then at 75Hz, then saving and rebooting after each; my computer now resets the resolution back to 1152x864, only at 75Hz instead of 83Hz. When I tell Nvidia-Settings to Save to X Configuration File, should I tell it to merge with the existing file or uncheck that option?
      Asus G1S-X3:
      Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Yes, you want it to merge, so check that box.

Before you set out to adjust the resolution, did you run the nvidia xconfig routine? if not, open a Konsole window and do this (just copy and paste it in):

Code:
        sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals --composite
        That will write a new xorg.conf file that will be closer to correct.

THEN, again run
        Code:
         sudo nvidia-settings
        and set the resolution.

THEN, again click "Save to X Configuration File" and let it merge the new default resolution in.

I think this will get you closer to the desired result.

Comment

That almost works; it now reboots to 1280x1024 @ 60Hz, I need it to run at 75Hz or it displays everything fuzzy. Is there a possibility I'm running an outdated version of nvidia-settings?
          Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Actually, looking at the command above for nvidia-xconfig, I'm running the nvidia-glx-new driver; will that make a difference to the configuration command?
            Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Yes -- I don't think it matters for a 7300. If you had an 8xxx series card, I'd say get the new 100.14.19 driver, which you need to either download or use Envy to install (my favorite way).

So go ahead and do the nvidia-xconfig command as I wrote it, and then the nvidia-settings as I wrote it, and then if it still goes to 60Hz, you can try to set it to 70 or 72. If none of that fixes it, then I'm recommending you install the newer driver -- no guarantees, but it could help.

Comment

I used envy to install the driver, and it installed the new driver. After following the instructions, it still boots to 60Hz; if I were to alter the xorg.conf settings by deleting all entries to "1280x1024@60", leaving only the "1280x1024@75" entries, what do you think that would do?
                Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

open konsole:
                  Code:
                  gtf 1280 1024 75
                  now press Alt+F2:
                  Code:
                  kdesudo kate /etc/X11/xorg.conf
                  [if you run kubuntu gutsy gibbon; for older kubuntus type: "kdesu" instead of "kdesudo"]

navigate to Section "Monitor" - it looks similar to this:
                  Code:
                  Section "Monitor"
                    Identifier   "Generic Monitor"
                    DisplaySize   331  207
                    HorizSync    30.0 - 75.0
                    VertRefresh   60.0
                    Option     "DPMS"
                  EndSection
                  copy from the konsole the modeline:
                  Code:
                  Modeline "1280x1024_75.00" 138.54 1280 1368 1504 1728 1024 1025 1028 1069 -HSync +Vsync
                  and paste it into "Monitor" section:
                  Code:
                  Section "Monitor"
                    Identifier   "Generic Monitor"
                    DisplaySize   331  207
                    HorizSync    30.0 - 75.0
                    VertRefresh   60.0
                    Option     "DPMS"
                    Modeline "1280x1024_75.00" 138.54 1280 1368 1504 1728 1024 1025 1028 1069 -HSync +Vsync
                  EndSection
                  now navigate to section "Screen", example:
                  Code:
                  Section "Screen"
                    Identifier   "Default Screen"
                    Device     "GeForce Go 6200 TurboCache"
                    Monitor    "Generic Monitor"
                    DefaultDepth  24
                    Option     "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
                    Option     "NoLogo" "True"
                    Option     "UseEdidDpi" "False"
                    Option     "FPDither" "True"
                    SubSection   "Display"
                      Depth    24
                      Modes   "1280x800"
                    EndSubSection
                  EndSection
                  See the subsection "display"?:
                  Code:
                  SubSection   "Display"
                      Depth    24
                      Modes   "1280x800"
                    EndSubSection
                  make sure that "1280x1024" will be the first one in the list:
                  Code:
                  SubSection   "Display"
                      Depth    24
                      Modes   "1280x1024" "1280x800"
                    EndSubSection
                  save, log out and press Alt+E in kdm/login screen
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  alternatively
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Open konsole:
                  Code:
                  sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
                  after answering questions best you can don't forget to rerun nvidia-xconfig:
                  Code:
                  sudo nvidia-xconfig
                  log out and press Alt+E in kdm/login screen

Comment

Before I try this, my computer is showing 10 copies of xorg.conf, starting with xorg.conf and going to xorg.conf.9, including backups. My configuration seems to be scattered randomly throughout these files; is this normal or what should I do to correct this?
                    Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Don't worry -- there's no such problem as too many old backups of xorg.conf!

OK, with the new driver installed, I'm back to recommending that you have it write a new xorg.conf file for you, that will be appropriate for supporting glx and compositing. You do that on the command line (Alt-F2) as follows:
                      Code:
                      sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals --composite
                      Once you've done that, you have the basic Nvidia-centric xorg.conf file. Re-start the X server with Ctrl-Alt Backspace at this point.

Next, you want to set it to default to your preferred screen resolution and refresh rate. That is done by using the Nvidia driver utility in Super User mode:

Code:
                      sudo nvidia-settings
                      and then saving the changes in xorg.conf by clicking the "Save to X Configuration File" button and letting it merge these settings into the Nvidia-centric xorg.conf file that you previously wrote.

Comment

Got it, thank y'all for your help; I had to use a combination of both methods to get it to work. I guess I just have a stubborn system. Anyway, does anybody know how to change the resolution of the KDM login screen? It has for some reason set itself to a low resolution with a high refresh rate. The picture's clear, just large.
                        Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Messin' around with it a little more, 1280x1024@75 is not a default listing in xorg's configuration; after I typed 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg' (purposefully leaving out -phigh) and went through the options, I got to the point where I could choose my resolution. I chose the option between simple and advanced (can't remember the name at the moment ). Thumbing through the list, 1280x1024@60 is in there, but 1280x1024@75 is not; I believe this is the culprit that was giving me such a hard time with my resolution
                          Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Working...
                          X