This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sever software recommendations

About four days ago, I have installed Ubuntu server and on top of that the Kubuntu desktop, both on a separate (from Win XP) hard drive. This sequence was recommended by a friend, and - according to him - by some in an Ubuntu forum.

Since this was my very first experience with Linux, I had a slew of the usual problems, but with the friend's and a Linux forum help, was able to change the boot order, etc. The main problem with that installation was that even with 1GB of RAM, the interface and scrolling anywhere and in any browser, including Firefox felt mushy and jerky.

In any case, last night have installed Kubuntu 7.04 overwriting the old installation. It indeed works much, much better. No mushy feeling, or jerkiness anymore. I was even able to make GTalk work within Kopete, which for some reason I couldn't set up in the previous installation. It is either a better setup, or with whole four days of Linux experience I am becoming an expert

My question is: Since I do not have Ubuntu Server installed now, what would the recommended, easy to use, but capable server software be? I am not really very much of a geek and would like to have something that I can handle.

Thank you

Re: Sever software recommendations

Server for what?

Ubuntu Server is just a stripped-down version of regular Ubuntu, without a graphical environment to free up system resources. You can turn regular (K)Ubuntu in to just about any sort of server you want, just as easily (or more so) than Server edition.

Comment

What are you using the server for?

Webserver--Apache2
      Ftp--vsftp
      Samba
      etc.......

eriefisher
      ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

The 6.06LTS server edition has the option of installing a LAMP server(linux,apache,mysql.php-perl) if you need these things.

eriefisher
        ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

So does any *ubuntu variant... you just might have to tell it to install four packages rather than one metapackage...

Comment

Thank you all!

Comment

Working...
            X