This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 7.04 on Compaq Presario 700 via Live DVD

I wanted to install Kubuntu 7.04 on an ancient Compaq Presario 700, but had to give up. Right now it has a Knoppix variant, ExTiX 5.0.

The problem was that the graphical installer wouldn't work, and the text-mode installer...well, it installed a text-only version of Kubuntu. Which isn't what I was going for at all.

The graphical installer ran so slowly that I exhausted my patience long before I got even a few steps into installing. I got as far as the screen where you select your time zone before I gave up. It took several minutes after clicking on the drop-down menu for the menu to actually drop down. The same happened when I tried to scroll to the city nearest mine. It was utterly unusable.

Anyone managed to successfully put Kubuntu 7.04 on this machine, or one like it? It has so little RAM (128 MB) and such a slow CPU (AMD Duron) that it is painfully slow as a Windows XP machine. Eventually, I'd like to set it up as my "using free WiFi at the coffee shop" machine, perhaps through a USB wireless adapter, since the internal PCMCIA slot is gone (accidentally sheared off the connector in a very unfortunate event).

It could have something to do with the DVD-ROM drive, which barely works. Besides Win XP running with painful sloth, another reason I stopped using the Presario was that the DVD-ROM drive wouldn't read anything most of the time. It's sheer luck that it read the Kubuntu Live DVD at all. I can live without an optical drive once I get it configured, but it's kind of hard to install an OS without a drive with which to install it! Then again, I had no problems installing ExTiX from the same drive. Go figure.

Re: Kubuntu 7.04 on Compaq Presario 700 via Live DVD

About minimum requirements

Hmm - I can't find minimum requirements for Kubuntu, but here is:
    Ubuntu System Requirements
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...emRequirements

Minimum requirements
    300 MHz x86 processor
    64 MB of system memory (RAM)
    At least 2 GB of disk space (for full installation and swap space)
    VGA graphics card capable of 640x480 resolution
    CD-ROM drive
    If your system has less than 192 MB of system memory, use the Alternate Installation CD.
    But note that
    Recommended minimum requirements
    500 MHz x86 processor
    192 MB of system memory (RAM)
    8 GB of disk space
    Graphics card capable of 1024x768 resolution
    Sound card
    A network or Internet connection
    My opinion of those requirements: I would multiply those minimum/recommended numbers by 2 or 3.

You could try Xubuntu (http://www.xubuntu.org/get) :
    Minimum system requirements

To run the Desktop CD (LiveCD + Install CD), you need 128 MB RAM to run or 192 MB RAM to install. The Alternate Install CD only required you to have 64 MB RAM.

To install Xubuntu, you need 1.5 GB of free space on your hard disk.

Once installed, Xubuntu can run with 64 MB RAM, but it is strongly recommended to use at least 128 MB RAM.

Earlier:
    Topic: Excessive memory usage
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3083399.0
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
    X