This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Basics

Hi, I installed 5.10 breezy without any problems. Excellent job on the installer! Now, let the newbie questions begin:

1) I successfully installed VLC. I also installed the mozilla-plugin-vlc package. I see the plugin .so file in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. I hit the "Scan for plugins" bit in the Konqueror config. Yet, when I got aboutlugins its not listed. Konqueror can't seem to detect it. Does anyone know if this plugin works for Konqueror? And if so, what I'm doing wrong?

2) Java appears to be pre-installed. At first, no Java applets would work in KDE. However, after changing the default path In the KDE configuration from 'java' to '/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.4.2-gcj-4.0-1.4.2.0/bin/java', Konqueror now displays the Java containing box with "Loading Applet" inside. Unfortunately, nothing ever loads! What's happening here?

3) I've enabled all the universe repositories in Adept (but not the backports). I'm showing 17000+ packages. Which package do I need to install to get the Macromedia Flash plugin for Konqueror? Is it in backports?

Alright, those are the main things for now. As you can see I'm mostly focussing on getting Konqueror web browsing up and running. By the way, two tips for other newbs with 'no sound': 1) move your plugs from the Windows machine to the Linux one :-X and 2) turn up the master volume.

Re: The Basics

Hmmm, well, I finally gave up on trying to install a package through adept and downloaded/installed the file from Macromedia.com instead. Thus, I managed to get Flash working.

I thought I'd try the same with Java so I downloaded the latest jre (1.5.0_06) and installed it to /usr/src/. I changed my java path in Konqueror to /usr/bin/java. Unfortunately, I still get gray boxes with "Loading Applet" in them. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Comment

Hi,

I found your thread since I had the same problems.  Here's what I did to fix my problem.

Download and unpack JDK 1.5
      1) I downloaded Sun's JDK 1.5.0_06 (jdk-1_5_0_06-linux-i586.bin)
      2) I ran "chmod +x jdk-1_5_0_06-linux-i586.bin"
      3) I ran the download "./jdk-1_5_0_06-linux-i586.bin"
      4) It unpacked java in a directory (jdk1.5.0_06)

Install JDK 1.5
      5) I ran "sudo mv jdk1.5.0_06/ /usr/lib/"
      6) I reassigned permissions "sudo chown -R root:root /usr/lib/jdk1.5.0_06"
      7) I removed the old symlinks in /usr/bin
      sudo rm /etc/alternatives/java
      sudo rm /etc/alternatives/jar
      8 ) I created the new symlinks
      sudo ln -s /usr/lib/jdk1.5.0_06/jre/bin/java /etc/alternatives/java
      sudo ln -s /usr/lib/jdk1.5.0_06/jre/bin/jar /etc/alternatives/jar

Adjust Konqueror Settings
      9) Open Konqueror
      10) Go to Settings -> Java
      11) Set path to java to "/usr/bin/java"
      12) Test on applets at http://java.sun.com/applets/

Comment

Thank you. Apparently it didn't like the jre which I installed. Once I did the jdk and followed the steps everything worked. (Of course maybe doing things fresh the second time round actually was the fix, but who knows.)

Now I just have to figure out how to get the VLC plugin to work.

Comment

Hi,
          I have got java applets working within konqueror with the above steps. The applets work fine with firefox. However, now the applet loads but then displays an error message saying 'IOException something etc'. Anyone know what this could be?

There is no such error in firefox. I have also tried to change the browser identification to Firefox but the same error pops up.

Comment

Working...
          X