This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu loading extremly slow

I'm new to kubuntu. I've install 6.10 version and then according to the instruction updated it to 7.04 and then i've notice that it's loading extremly slow somewhere around 5 minuts or even longer.

When i press ctrl+alt+f1 there's only "loading, please wait..." massage and after about minute i get massage
    [ 56.031889] ata2.00: faild to set xfermode (err_maks=0x4)
    and then few very similar only with different numbers at the beggining.

what's the problem and what can i do in order to solve it.

or what other info you need to help me and how to get it.
    i'm really completly new to linux.

Re: Kubuntu loading extremly slow

The next time you boot your machine try the following. This will NOT make permanent changes to anything. If for any reason there is a problem this will only affect that boot and you can just reboot the machine if there is an issue.

1.When the grub line comes up press Esc to get to the grub boot menu.
    2. Press e to allow editing of boot options
    3. You will see something like the following

root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-15-generic root=UUID= ... ro quiet splash
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-15-generic

scroll down to the kernel line

4. press e to edit the kernel line
    5. at the end of the kernel line add a space and type the word irqpoll without any quotes or anything around it.
    6. press enter so the modifications are accepted. This is important. If you don't press enter the changes will not take place
    7.press b to boot the machine.

As I said this will only be a temporary change for that boot. Does this help or hurt anything?

Comment

Hmmm ok it helps with those errors at the begining but after
      *loading hardware drivers...
      i get massage [ 91.858737] intel_rng: FWH not detected and it probably hangs. After few minutes i just restarted computer.

Comment

You could try blacklisting the intel_rng module by doing the following.

kmenu (the left bottom button on task bar)/ run command/ type the following:

kdesu kate /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

This will open the etc/modprobe.d/blacklist file in kate as root so you can modify it.

You need to add a line to the end of the file:

blacklist intel_rng

and save it.

Then reboot making the irqpoll change discussed before.

This shouldn't cause any problems but if the system doesn't want to boot normally either and you have to reverse this you can boot into recovery mode and use nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist to remove the line.

Also if these don't solve things try booting normally and see if opening and closing the cd/dvd drive while the system seems to be stalled booting has any effect.

Comment

You haven't identified your system specs. The HD that you have installed Kubuntu 7.04 to - how big is it? There is a possibility you are running out of disk space.

When you are booted, open a console and type:
          Code:
          df -h
          Post the results for review.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hi, and thanks for help. I had enough free space.I didn't try the blacklist intel_rng because meanwhile i found this solution. And it helped so the problem is solved. But my journey with kubuntu is just begining so i think i'll visit this forum quit often.

I've solved the problem editing /etc/initramfs-tools/modules, and adding this lines:

piix
            ide_generic
            ide_cd
            ide_disk

# blacklist bad driver
            blacklist ata_piix

# prevent unnecessary modules from being loaded (you don't need to do this)
            blacklist ata_generic
            blacklist libata
            blacklist scsi_mod

after editing:

sudo update-initramfs -u

after reboot I have my hard disks with the old fashioned /dev/hd*, without bugs!!!

Comment

Glad to here your problem is resolved. Yes, you will find quite a lot of help in the forum. When posting a question, please:

1) have searched the forum or other sources for an answer before posting a question. Your answer just might 'be out there.'
              2) be clear in your questions. Identify the problem, what you did or were doing, what OS you are using, what type of equipment you have (desktop, laptop, number and type of HDs, etc).

Questions such as "I just installed Kubuntu and my monitor is borked! HELP!" just isn't very helpful to anyone who even reads such a plea.

Welcome to Kubuntu and the Kubuntu Forums!
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
              X