X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless connectivity solution for 7.04

Hey everyone,

Since installing 7.04 I've suffered constant grief with logging onto my friend's router, sometimes I can connect, other times I can't and Knetworkmanager regularly stalls at 57% or crashes during repeated attempts. Usually I end up having to boot into Windows for reliable wireless connectivity. Till now...

This thread http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3084310.0 containing a suggestion by eriefisher, gave me a hunch about Knetworkmanager being the culprit and I devised the solution below.

I removed Knetworkmanager, went to K Menu>System Settings>Network Settings and within Available Network selected the Wireless adapter and then Configure Device ath0. From there, I entered the preferred router name into the ESSID field and ensured TCP/IP is set to Automatic/dhcp.

After rebooting, success! Kubuntu locked onto the router at startup and connected flawlessly to the internet and has continued to do so ever since, all issues of inaccessibility, random disconnections and unstable connections vanished.

My next step was to download KWIFIManager as a monitoring tool to check my wi-fi statistics and also Wireless Assistant as a replacement for Knetworkmanager. Lastly, I keep a Konsole window open with a continuous ping running in order to gauge if the packets are being sent/received properly.

Code:
    ping [url]www.yahoo.com[/url]
    In the now rare event of a disconnection, I can simply type the following command into Konsole and I'm back online within seconds:

Code:
    sudo iwconfig ath0 essid "ROUTERNAME" ap XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX commit

I've been using this strategy for nearly a week now and It's worked brilliantly. Regardless of how many times the laptop is rebooted, Kubuntu now always finds the router on startup, then connects and remains connected.

I'm no longer dependant upon Windows to get online and hopefully the above comments will work for other people who've experienced wireless connectivity problems with 7.04.
    "As long as they're going to steal software, we want them to steal ours." - Bill Gates on the Chinese.

Re: Wireless connectivity solution for 7.04

Thank you for posting this. It is important that users who find workable solutions post them for others. Your description of the problem, and the steps you took to resolve same is well written. I'm sure that others who have a similar problem will find your post helpful.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
    X