This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New guy with ATI Video ?

I have a PC that I will be installing the 64 Bit version of Kubuntu. It has a ATI X1550 VC will this be a problem or do I need to get a Nvidia card?

Re: New guy with ATI Video ?

The ATI graphics card is no problem at all; (K)Ubuntu automatically comes with a graphics driver compatible with both ATI and Nvidia cards. However, once installed, you will probably want to install the specific driver for your card. An application called Envy can download and install it for you. Its URL is below, never mind the reference to nvidia:

http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

Have fun with Kubuntu, it's awesome
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

You might also want to review the proprietary Linux driver that ATI has here.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

FAQ: Links - How to Install AMD(Ati) Proprietary Linux Display Driver (fglrx)
        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3085652.0
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thanks everyone, I hoped I would not need to change the card out. I will let everyone know how the install goes. Thanks again.

Comment

Hello again from the new guy. Install went well this morning. Also installed Envy and got the ATI drivers working. Thanks to everyone for the help

Comment

Congrats on getting the problem worked out! It's a great feeling, isn't it?
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
              X