Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why can Kmplayer play URL's Amarok can't using the Xine engine?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why can Kmplayer play URL's Amarok can't using the Xine engine?

Out of curiosity, why can Kmplayer play some streaming URL's Amarok can't, even though they both use the Xine engine? I'm trying to play RadioU's URL (http://tvulive.com/player/radiou.asx), which can play in Kmplayer, Mplayer, and VLC, however, not Amarok (I haven't tested it in any other players, other than Windows Media Player). Amarok shows a popup stating there is no demux plugin suitable to play the selected URL. Why is this?
    Attached Files
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Re: Why can Kmplayer play URL's Amarok can't using the Xine engine?

It is probably a problem in the asx file - the xml format file the url points to. Amarok sometimes can't handle those, whereas kmplayer/kaffeine can parse it correctly. At least that is the gist of it as my google searching has revealed

I am unable to play that url in mplayer or xine myself, but did notice they have an mp3 url for the stream:
    http://nyc04.egihosting.com:6204/listen.pls

Comment

That makes sense. I don't usually listen to the MP3 URL because of the low bit quality; KMplayer and VLC can play the .asx URL, which is what I use to listen to the stream. I just wish Amarok could play the files. Thank you . . .
      Asus G1S-X3:
      Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

if you search for 'amarok asx' in Google you may find a workaround. It did not work for me, however

Comment

Working...
        X