Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone switch from Windows to Kubu in cold turkey fashion?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone switch from Windows to Kubu in cold turkey fashion?

can't get my external storage drive to work. I get a message saying my drive is 'unmounted removable media' but no matter what option I choose nothing happens.
    I haven't installed Kubuntu yet (backing up my current system's data), but when I tried out the Live CD, I had the exact same problem with my external drive. A friend sent me a note with an explanation on how to fix it. I'm including it below. Bits you need to type in are bolded.

-------------------- snip --------------------

1. Open terminal (Konsole), go to root (sudo -i) and move to your /mnt folder (cd /mnt).

2. Create a temporary folder the data should be mounted to (mkdir usbdrive)

3. Plug in the external drive and once it's detected (or you feel it's detected) type dmesg.

4. You should get something like this to indicate that your drive was detected and scanned:

Code:
       [ 9349.252000] usb-storage: device scan complete
       [ 9349.252000] scsi 2:0:0:0: Direct-Access SanDisk U3 Cruzer Micro 3.21 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
       [ 9349.256000] SCSI device sdb: 4001425 512-byte hdwr sectors (2049 MB)
       [ 9349.256000] sdb: Write Protect is off
       [ 9349.256000] sdb: Mode Sense: 03 00 00 00
       [ 9349.256000] sdb: assuming drive cache: write through
       [ 9349.256000] SCSI device sdb: 4001425 512-byte hdwr sectors (2049 MB)
       [ 9349.256000] sdb: Write Protect is off
       [ 9349.256000] sdb: Mode Sense: 03 00 00 00
       [ 9349.256000] sdb: assuming drive cache: write through
       [ 9349.256000] sdb: sdb1 sdb2
       [ 9349.264000] sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sdb
       [ 9349.264000] sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0
    Note here that my freshly inserted disk-on-key is /dev/sdb (SCSI drive 2) and it has two partitions: 1 and 2 that we can try mounting. This should be similar to your external drive.

5. Let's mount (or try at least): mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usbdrive -- if it complains that it can't find the type, try adding -t ntfs after the mount command.

-------------------- snap --------------------

Your drive will probably be called something different than sdb1, so you need to try and find it. There will be quite a bit of output, but once you find it, the above should work. You can then use cd usbdrive to access the data. If that works, you might need to change the permission of the drive(s) with chmod so that you can access the data from within KDE on your user account (or you can use kdesu). If you get this far, I can post the steps for this (also provided by said friend).

Comment

My wife and I did a cold turkey switch over a year ago. My wife loves her PC now instead of constant screaming about Windows ME blue screening on her LOL. She's running Kubuntu 6.06. I am running Kubuntu 7.10 (or attempting too...just upgraded from 7.04). I have tried a number of distro's but always found myself comming back to Kubuntu.

I just learned after my second Kubuntu upgrade adventure NOT to upgrade and instead to do a fresh install if you want to go to the new version...... Every time I try to upgrade something goes wacky..... Such is the case now, I am writing this from my OpenSUSE 10.3 on my test machine (not worth the download IMHO) because after my recent attempt to upgrade from 7.04 - 7.10 the type size is so small I can't read anything! I wish they'd just strip that option out of the distro since it seems A LOT of people have problems with upgrading via the upgrade feature.....

Comment

When you upgraded, Gutsy probably just set your resolution to the highest possible with your setup. Try opening "System Settings -> Monitor & Display" and change the resolution to a lower one. You may also need to change the refresh rate to get the clearest picture.

Hope that helps,
        integr8e
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Working...
        X