X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need help setting up JCreator to use JDK through Wine

Hello,
    If there is a way, I need help setting up a program called JCreator LE to use JDK (either the Windows or Linux version). JCreator LE is a free Windows program my university uses to create and modify Java applications. The "Classic" version of JCreator LE will install and run through Wine, but will not compile or run projects. Please, if anybody can, help me.

Thanks,
    integr8e
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Re: I need help setting up JCreator to use JDK through Wine

http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iAppId=1821

Comment

I checked Wine's web sight out and according to it there's nothing I can do to make it work above being just a Java editor. I've checked out other apps such as Netbeans and Eclipse; the problem with them is that they cannot properly load sources saved by JCreator. I have access to a Windows pc, so I guess I'll just have to use it.

Thanks for your help,
      integr8e
      Asus G1S-X3:
      Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

OK, I'm bringing this post back from the dead. I've searched all over the net, but have not been able to find instructions on how to configure JCreator to work using Wine; however, I've found several hints that it can be done. It's installed on my computer and I've been experimenting with various methods to get it to work properly, but to no avail; the 4.50 version is out of the question, it won't work worth a tute, but the 3.50 version will do almost everything - I can create and open projects, and compile them, but can't run them. Searching JCreator on Wikipedia tells me that both the LE (free) and Pro ($$$) versions work efficiently on Linux via Wine, but gives no instruction as to how to configure it. The following picture is provided, and its description states that it is being run in Knoppix (an Ubuntu derivative):

I know it can be done, because I've seen it work on my system, but successful attempts are very few and far between. Any help, brainstorms, suggestions, and the like are welcome and will be greatly appreciated.
        Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Originally posted by integr8e
          I've checked out other apps such as Netbeans and Eclipse; the problem with them is that they cannot properly load sources saved by JCreator. I have access to a Windows pc, so I guess I'll just have to use it.
          OK, about me: I've been working in Java far too much lately and start a job with it next week.

This is weird. A Java source file is a Java source file, stat. What do you mean when you say Eclipse "cannot properly load" it? Error messages? A sample .java file so I can try to reproduce?

Would you be happy using Eclipse if it worked, or are you too attached to JCreator?

Comment

Sorry about that, I should have addressed my previous posts; I have gotten Eclipse to work properly, and have been using it happily for the last couple of weeks. What brought me back to JCreator is that I'm using a dark theme on my computer, and as such, Eclipse seems to have adopted my system colors. The main problem is that much of the text is dark, and accompanied with a dark background, it becomes aggravating burning holes in my monitor trying to read what I'm typing. I found where I can change many of the background colors, but not all of them. The mismatched background colors bother me, and I cannot find where to change the text colors for the main window.

JCreator's interface is light-colored and easy to read. That's how I got to where I am now; Eclipse is fine (though dark), but my University uses JCreator (which uses its own project files) and it would just be cool to get it running. Plus, many members of the Linux community would be very delighted if we could get it running because many of them also attend universities that use JCreator.

If you can help me configure Eclipse to have a consistent, light background, or to lighten the text, that would be awesome; I would just like to get JCreator working for educational purposes (i.e. learn how to effectively use Wine and contribute to the Wine community).

Edit: Ah! I figured out how to change the text colors in the editor! One project down, one to go
            Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Working...
            X