This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless nic card error.

Ok just to make a the whole story short. I installed Kunbuntu onto my laptop which is 6 months old. It has onboard WIFI. Everything works great except both the hard wired nic card and the wireless nic card wont work. They both had drivers established but nothing. So when I use the wifi it can see my network name but it wont connect. It gives me an error message when I wonna use the administrative mode. It says" Su returned an error"? So what do I do. Are there any updates I can manually load?

Thanx guys,
    I love the feel of this distro!

Re: Wireless nic card error.

Just an update I looked and they are both disables but yet again I can't get into the administrator mode.

Comment

Not getting to admin mode is a common bug (although there seems to be more than one cause for it)...you can try upgrading to KDE 3.5 to fix it.

In the meantime, you should be able to get to admin network configuration with:

Code:
      kdesu kcmshell kcm_knetworkconfmodule

Comment

What do I do with that code?

Comment

Well I tried to wing it and I put it into the terminal and it gave me the same "SU returned with error".

So I guess I need to install the kde 3.5 package.

I looked at the package and it looks like a bunch of jibberish to me. So do I copy and paste that whole thing into a txt folder? Then what do I do once I have that txt file on kunbuntu?

Comment

So I have the KDE 3.5 text file on the laptop with name given ending in the file format .gpg
            but I still have no clue what to do with it. I can't move it into the /apt/ect/source.list folder.

Comment

Here's a step by step howto on upgrading to KDE 3.5 (the code lines are console commands):
              http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=817.0

I've seen some reports of misbehaving 'su' and not being able to get admin rights...and many of them seem to be associated with the 'expert' install...if things won't start working after you've upgraded, I'd recommend a standard installation.

You can always enable the root account after installation (though there is no need to, since you can use sudo)

Comment

Ok I just went directly to putting in
                kdesu kwrite/etc/apt/source.list
                it gave me the same error
                keep in mind the package is on my desktop.

Comment

Working...
                X