X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu in home-network

Hi,

I have a small homenetwork with a US Robotics-router and 2 computers. With XP I had the possibiliy to read files located computer A with computer B (english is not my native language, I hope you know what I mean).

I now installed Kubuntu on one computer, the other one is not mine, and it will keep running on XP for a while. Is it possible to get the possibility back to browse files on the other computer?

Re: Kubuntu in home-network

You should try with samba. In konqueror's address bar, try typing :
    smb://ip_of_second_computer
    or even :
    smb://name_of_second_computer
    And then you should be able to browse his files...

Cheers

Comment

Okay, that worked. I tied smb:// in firefox, but it doesn't work there, it really needs to be in konqueror, that's why it idn't work when I tried it at first.

I can see the other computers files on my kubuntu-machine now. Next step is to let the other computer read the files on my NTFS-disk (it's mounted as read-only in kubuntu). It says I need to install some kind of server before I can do that? Can I install it using Adept? And if so, what package?

Comment

Yes, it has to be konqueror (equivalent of IE and explorer in windows) because firefox is not linked to the fs system of your computer...
        If you want to let access files from kubuntu to another one, you should install samba :
        sudo apt-get install samba
        Then you will be able to configure it in system settings > Sharings

Comment

I installed Samba, and shared the hda1 through it. But when I try to search for computers in the network on the XP-machine, I can't find my kubuntu-machine. I also tried to go through IE with the internal IP-adress, but it gives me a screen of apache with the samba-files.

Is there anything I've missed?

Comment

Working...
          X