X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another GRUB error 17 question

Hi,

I am pretty sure this problem was posted many times, but for different reasons I can't use the existing answers I've found so far.

Here is my story:

I have instaled Windows Vista and Kubuntu 7.04 on my laptop. Everything was fine for a while.
    While I was setting up the Kubuntu partitions they went at the end of the empty space. So between the Windows partition and the Kubuntu ones there was a space left - about 15 Gigs. I left it on purpose so I can use it as a shared space between the two OSes. (It was left as an empty unalocated space initially).

At some point I've decided to set it up and used Windows to format it as an NTFS volume.

When I've tried to get back to Kubuntu I've got the Error 17 message.
    I guess the order of the partitions have changed due to my formatting.
    I know that I need to edit the GRUB menu.lst file, but I have no idea how to access it - I am a Linux newbie.

I can run the live CD but I have no idea how to mount the Kubuntu partition and access it.
    In other posts it was mentioned to press "Enter" in order to edit the GRUB menu after the error but on my machine nothing happens.
    I also have no idea if it possible to pause GRUB in order to step in before the error happens, but I ho idea which button to use.

I've tried Googling the issue, but being a newbie have no idea even when people are giving some advice I don't know how to use.

So, here I am - looking for some simple explanation. I have general computer knowledge, just not much Linux one.

TIA,
    Simon

Re: Yet another GRUB error 17 question

Review this post on how to access your HD with the LiveCD. Once you do that, you can access your /boot/grub/menu.lst for editing.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: Yet another GRUB error 17 question

Here's some stuff, too, on editing menu.lst by Live CD (scroll down through this How-To and you'll see a bunch of stuff that you can use to fix this.)
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0

You have basically figured out the problem: you created a new partition (hdx,y). (On hard drive x and partition y, where x and y start counting from zero. So with one HD, the x = 0. Your Kubuntu used to be on some partition y; that is, on (hd0, y), but now that may be y+1, right?, since you inserted another partition.)

So in your menu.lst, instead of (hdx,y), you need the new one, which I think will be (hdx,y+1). This really, importantly shows up in the root statements, as you'll see in the menu.lst.

That How-To has what you need to do this. Toward the end of the How-To are some useful commands you can use to locate things, like kernels (using the command find, or geometry, etc.). Post back and tell us how it goes. This is easily fixed, so not to worry.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
      X