This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NTFS Configuration tool

Somehow, I managed to install ntfs-3g and ntfs-config. However, some partitions don't seem to be mounted properly. Or is it a permissions issue? I'm confused because I can access the partitions via System (talking about GUI method for now) Settings and Storage Media but some partitions are not displayed graphically until I go into the storage media directories. Another example, I cannot open files from some of the partitions in Kaffeine because that partition is not available but if I click the file in 'storage media' for e.g., I can choose to play it with Kaffeine.

Could anyone explain or does anyone recognize what's going on? I also have the NTFS Configuration Tool installed but it won't run. I installed ntfs-3g and ntfs-config so I assume that the Config Tool was installed during the install of the other two packages. Except when I try to run the Tool, I get an error msg, "KDEInit could not launch 'gksu'.: Could not find 'gksu' executable." Do I need gksu and all its dependencies? Do I even need the NTFS Config. Tool? I discovered I can read/write to an NTFS partition (Windows). But, I probably should try to get the NTFS tool running properly as another option? In addition, I am not sure it was installed at all or if it was, why it was installed but not gksu or whatever it needed.

Re: NTFS Configuration tool

gksu is gnome kdesu(sudo for graphical programs). You don't need it. What you will have to do is edit your /etc/fstab to mount the NTFS drive with ntfs-3g so you can write to it. Here is what mine looks like:

/dev/hdb2 /media/windows ntfs-3g uid=1000 0 0

I believe you also have to add "fuse" to your user in system settings>>user management.

eriefisher
    ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...86836#msg86836

Comment

Originally posted by eriefisher
        gksu is gnome kdesu(sudo for graphical programs). You don't need it. What you will have to do is edit your /etc/fstab to mount the NTFS drive with ntfs-3g so you can write to it. Here is what mine looks like:

/dev/hdb2 /media/windows ntfs-3g uid=1000 0 0

I believe you also have to add "fuse" to your user in system settings>>user management.

eriefisher
        But, I installed ntfs-config already. Now, I removed it using UnicornRider's command line. But, what should I edit my /etc/fstab to be? Also, why do I need to edit it? To allow ntfs write and read options? I thought ntfs-3g was to provide this? I'm confused. I am not familiar with editing and using the command line. I don't mind trying but I need to know what I'm doing and why.

I think I understand I need to mount but can I mount an NTFS partition the same way? This is not an external NTFS drive. The internal HDD was partitioned for more than one OS, one Windows and two Linux ones. For e.g., one partition is NTFS and I want to be able to read/write. I thought I was doing what was needed but now I discover ntfs-config is to be avoided. It has modified the /etc/fstab file (system?) somehow and removing ntfs-config doesn't appear to have changed that (back). I now need to modify /etc/fstab so that I can mount the NTFS partition with ntfs-3g?

Comment

Post your /etc/fstab.
          ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Originally posted by kbunt
            But, what should I edit my /etc/fstab to be? Also, why do I need to edit it?
            To allow ntfs write and read options? I thought ntfs-3g was to provide this?
            Basically, /etc/fstab contains what I call a file system table - in this case of all those known to the system (other than /etc/mtab which lists all those available). To ease the mounting (read: making available) of file systems (e.g. on harddisk partitions, removable media, Samba shares and the like), adding the important ones to /etc/fstab is the usual way to go ...

I am not familiar with editing and using the command line.
            You don't have to use the command line - although is easier to explain as well as faster once you get the hang of it ... first of all, backup any system file (read: file owned by root) you're going to review; then launch an editor (in root mode) with the file in question "pre-loaded":

Code:
            sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.save
            sudo kwrite /etc/fstab
            As for the actual editions, you may want to read through the following explanations as well:

# http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/fstab.html
            # http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2006/0...mystified.html

I think I understand I need to mount but can I mount an NTFS partition the same way?
            Provided your Linux system has learned how to handle the NTFS format, the answer is yes - as with all other "usual" file systems (e.g. reiserfs, ext2/3, udf/iso9660, smbfs/cifs, nfs, etc.).

I thought I was doing what was needed but now I discover ntfs-config is to be avoided. It has modified the /etc/fstab file (system?) somehow and removing ntfs-config doesn't appear to have changed that (back). I now need to modify /etc/fstab so that I can mount the NTFS partition with ntfs-3g?
            The changes made by ntfs-config where sort of well intended but not well done - which is why I recommend to stay away from this tool and do the editions by hand ... In your case, you could either replace the faulty entries with proper ones - or, to learn the lesson, remove the bad ones and start from scratch ...

Comment

Working...
            X