X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GNOME Vista and beryl

How do I make GNOME look like vista??
    I installed beryl using Adept manger, what do I do now?
    I don't know how to use it.

Re: GNOME Vista and beryl

1.There are different themes to make your desktop look like vista, or even better. Experiment yourself

2.As for beryl, did you also install "beryl-manager" and "emerald-themes" Without them you have no control over beryl

3. You must have your graphic cards drivers installed to use beryl. If you haven't already, the safest way is to install a helper application called "restricted-manager" It should install and enable the driver for you.

Have a nice day!
    Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Comment

1. How do I install them?

2. I think I installed it, I will check

3. I need help installing my video drivers, I am a complete noob and no one is helping me

Comment

1. I don't know what themes do you mean, be more specific

2. If you have them installed, we still need video drivers.

3. I think I'll try to help you. Did you install restricted-manager as I suggested?
        If yes, open the konsole, type restricted-manager , press enter, enable the graphics driver it shows.
        You will need to reboot your computer after it installs it. Good luck!

P.S. There is a possibility that the graphic interface doesn't load (bad driver) so you might want to write down the command for the console (as you would only see the console) to change the driver.
        Code:
        sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
        and after choosing "vesa" or "nv" driver
        Code:
        startx
        Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Comment

1. Um well like vista themes lol I have no idea what they are called

2. ok

3. how do i install restricted-manager?

Comment

1. Did you download them from http://www.gnome-look.org ? I think it has instructions to install.

2. We'll get to that.

3. Install it using your favorite package manager.
            since mine is apt-get, I'll stick to it.
            open the console and type
            Code:
            sudo apt-get install restricted-manager
            sudo restricted-manager
            That should work. Good luck.

Comment

Code:
              sudo restricted-manager
              X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 171
               Major opcode: 147
               Minor opcode: 3
               Resource id: 0x0
              Failed to open device
              X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 171
               Major opcode: 147
               Minor opcode: 3
               Resource id: 0x0
              Failed to open device
              Your hardware does not need any restricted drivers.
              I like the theme that you are using, how do I get it, also how do I make a short cut like on windows that says My Computer so I can go to my hard drives, and how do I make my drives have a name on kubuntu, on windows xp it has names for my partitions but on kubuntu it just says a bunch of random letters.

Comment

I'm not sure about the drivers. I never had such a problem.

And I'm using KDE, not GNOME, so my themes won't benefit you at all. Besides I'm using many things from kde-look.org and I don't even know what I have now

Linux drive names aren't random. They have a lot more meaning than windows ones. (sda1 means first partition of the first SATA disk) As for disk labels in /media/ , you can create folders mount your disks there with any name you want

Comment

Lol well ok, I have a theme right now, how do I use it?
                  It's called moomex.emerald
                  How do I update the kernel modules, I figured out how to compile the intel linux graphics, but I get errors.

I get errors on both commands :

Code:
                  sudo bash install.sh
                  Code:
                  Compiling new agpgart module...

ERROR: AGPGART module did not compile

Compiling DRM module...

ERROR: Kernel modules did not compile

The DRI drivers can not be installed without the latest kernel modules.
                  Installation will be aborted. See the dri.log file for information on
                  what went wrong.
                  Code:
                  sudo sh install.sh
                  Code:
                  [: 1361: ==: unexpected operator
                  [: 1361: ==: unexpected operator

Compiling DRM module...install.sh: 1361: Syntax error: Bad fd number

Comment

*.emerald themes are beryl window decorations. They won't work until you have beryl working. BTW the those themes are installed with a program called emerald. I will post a picture showing how to install after I come back from the university

I don't know about Intel Linux graphics, I have nvidia GeForce FX 5600XT, so I won't be able to help you
                    Try searching the forum. Maybe someone has a similar problem.

Good Luck!

Here is a screenshot showing how to install emerald themes on emerald.(On my gnome desktop. It's not as nice) To work properly we still need those drivers working.

P.S. I don't use beryl, my theme is quite good even without it

Comment

Working...
                    X