• Show
Clear All

why not run as root

why not log on and run as the root user

Re: why not run as root

Originally posted by filmore

OK, here are two different approaches to providing an answer:

1. I don't do it because people who know a lot more about Linux than I do say it's a very, very bad idea.

2. Empirically, you could
    Code:
    sudo su
    and probably find out after a day or two of running your apps that way.

Comment

You only need to be root to perform admin duties. It you were to run as root all the time, a simple key stroke could potentially render your system useless. By running as a user you can not make any changes to system config files therefore avoiding unintentional mistakes.

Even running as root to make these changes should be done cautiously to avoid problems. Always check spelling and syntax before saving. A problem may not show up immediately but a reboot could mean disaster.

Before ANY editing of config files you should always make a backup so if there is a problem you can always revert to the original settings.

eriefisher
      ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

If you "sudo su" does that give root access to guis as well as konsole?

Comment

No.

Sudo su will just change you konsole from root to user. Sudo alone will give it to you per command but the permission will expire. I forget what the time is. Sudo su will allow continuous root use.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

to run gui progs as root you should press <ALT-F2> and type kdesu (prog name) and enter. You will be asked for your password, when it does, enter it.

eriefisher
          ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

If you "sudo su" does that give root access to guis as well as konsole?
            If (after you "sudo su") you remain at the command line, or even if you "startx", any program that you run will be run "as root". This would include GUI programs like Konqueror, Firefox, OpenOffice, Kopete, etc.

I found this in a Google search of "running Linux as root" -- I think it captures some of the bad things that can happen:

"Linux puts a lot of power at your fingertips. That's the best reason to switch to Linux; it's also the most dangerous thing about the system. Linux controls how much power you can use on the computer based on your Login ID. It keeps a database of all users, and it keeps track of which user owns which files, and which users have permission to view, edit, and execute each file, folder or program. An ordinary user will not be able to do really dangerous things, like editing the user database, or deleting every file on the system.

But right now you are logged in as root. You are not just an ordinary user, you are SuperUser. (SuperUser is a real Unix term, synonymous with root.) There are no restrictions on your power. You have the ability to crash the system and make it otherwise unusable in more ways than you can imagine. As a novice it is very easy to make your system completely unusable with a single erroneous command. Believe me. I speak from experience. The first weekend after I installed Linux, I had to reinstall it FOUR times before I finally got smart and quit destroying it. And I'm a pretty savvy guy around computers, so don't think you're immune just because you know your way around a PC.

Because it is so dangerous to be logged in as root, you should never use this account unless you have to. The root account is meant to be used by the System Administrator to perform certain duties which can be destructive and therefore should only be performed by an expert. Some examples are emptying log files, mounting and unmounting file systems (more on this later under Getting to CD's and Floppies ), installing or removing programs, and creating or deleting user accounts. "

Comment

You mean: similar to what most Windoze users tend (as well as more often than not have) to do?

Simply because with this you will bring your Linux system very close to M$ standards - at least in terms of insecurity as well as instability ... From my experience as former Windoze NT 4/5 administrator, the two main sources of trouble are (1) design flaws and (2) users behaving root-less while acting as (pseudo) root :P

Therefore, limiting user rights to the lowest level possible I'd consider a simple but effective way of damage prevention.

Comment

Why not play Russian Roulette with a single-shot derringer?
                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                X