X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Program Installation

Hello
    I've been using Kubuntu 7.04 for about a month and just recently I started to know my way around..
    Here is my problem... I have a very poor internet connection (4.3K/s tops) so I really cannot download programs over 2-3M, I thought that the alternative might be to get the .deb files from a faster internet connection cafe and install them on my PC. But each program has many dependencies and these dependencies in turn have other dependencies... how can I get all the packages I need to run a program? can anyone tell me if is there are any documentation or manual pages that cover this subject (other than the kubuntu help files 'cause I read them) so I can solve my own problem without burdening anyone...

Re: Program Installation

Topic: FAQ: Kubuntu without internet connection
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3085805.0

Links to earlier topics (slow/bad/no internet)
    and links to tools (how to make cd which contains packages you have downloaded on one machine using apt or synaptic).

Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

The dependency issues are fully addressed by the package management system, via the (K)ubuntu repositories -- that's a huge advantage to using the repositories as your source, versus grabbing debs from wherever you find them.

Otherwise, I have not heard of any "central dependency reference site". You'll have to look at the documentation for each package that you're interested in, to learn its architecture, in order to understand what existing libraries and packages it assumes will be in place.

Comment

since repositories use http protocol to download packages, I figured to type the address of repository in the web browser, and I got to the packages. If you open the deb package with an archive manager, you'll see that it contains data.tar.gz and control.tar.gz. In control.tar.gz there is a file "control" that is written in simple text. All dependencies are there. For Example:
        Code:
        Package: automatix2
        Priority: optional
        Section: base 
        Priority: optional
        Architecture: i386
        Depends:tango-icon-theme-common,tango-icon-theme,python2.4,python2.4-gtk2,python2.4-glade2,python2.4-libxml2,python-vte,gksu,libgnomeui-0,python-gnome2-extras,xterm,bash,bzip2,gzip,lsb-release,python-gtkhtml2
        Replaces:automatix
        Version: 1.1-4.11-7.04feisty_i386
        Maintainer: automatix team
        Description:Automatix is a graphical interface for automating the installation of the most commonly requested applications in Debian based linux operating systems.
        This is what I did when I had no access to the internet from my PC.
        Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Comment

Working...
        X