X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

static ip

I would like a static IP:

This is the intended setup:
    Computer has two ethernet ports, one Gigabit and one Nvidia controller. I guess I prefer to use the Gigabit if possible. I am not sure it matters.

I would like the static IP for using a P2P client, Azureus. I think I can configure it with the Wizard. I will worry about that later when the static IP is set up.

I am confused about the eth0 and eth1 choices. I went into a terminal window and ran 'ifconfig.'

Re: static ip

First of all, the question should be: does your ISP provide you with a static or a dynamic IP adress. I have a static address from my ISP, even though it says "dinaminis" on the contract
    Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Comment

The answers could be:
      1) Yes, I was able to have a static IP assigned
      2) No, I am setting one myself.

So, how would you respond/answer either question?

I admit it, I'm a newbie and I don't see why it matters if the ISP assigned a static IP or not. Even if they didn't, I thought you could set one up. I think I signed up for an account with one.

But, even assuming I didn't, can I not set it up in the network interfaces configuration? I thought I could choose 'manual' and configure the IP settings accordingly.

Comment

The IP you set up manually is for your local area network (LAN). The IP you get for the internet is assigned by your ISP when you connect to the internet (for example my LAN IP is 192.168.0.99, but the external IP I connect to the internet through the modem is 78.62.67.47)

I hope this info helps you in some way. BTW,your IP is shown in the forums for you in your messages
        Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Comment

Working...
        X