Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I fully transform my Ubunto desktop into Kubuntu?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I fully transform my Ubunto desktop into Kubuntu?

I want to use Kubuntu but I'm out of blank CDs. I've just installed Ubuntu Feisty and I want to install Kubuntu on it and remove all Ubuntu (Gnome) apps
    How can I do it ? I've got a fast enough internet connection

Re: How can I fully transform my Ubunto desktop into Kubuntu?

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
    sudo apt-get remove ubuntu-desktop
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Thanks, doing it now

Comment

OK everything is perfect

I have one more question if you don't mind. Would you recommend installing the new KDE4 beta. Is it appropriate for a non-expert like me?

Comment

Beta means that it is not fully working yet and full of bugs. If you want a stable system I'd suggest to wait, otherwise have a go
          Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Comment

You can install the current KDE4 betas next to your existing stable KDE install, and then check it out when you have time and patience to handle the bugs.

Comment

I wouldn't at the moment. The announcement is on http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde4-beta1.php

Can you even make sense of it
              "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
              "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by arochester
                I wouldn't at the moment. The announcement is on http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde4-beta1.php

Can you even make sense of it
                I just followed directions and have it installed happily. Granted, one of my two video cards sucks and is giving me trouble rendering the window decorations, but the install itself went fine. It's pretty simple.

First you open Adept Manager, or Synaptic, and make sure you have the backports repository enabled. Then you look for the kde4base-dev package, which when you select it will select everything else to get the KDE 4 running on your system. Once you install this, you're done in Adept Manager or Synaptic, so feel free to close it.

I didn't even bother running it from the command line, I just skipped right ahead to setting it up for a full session copy, the last step mentioned on that page. First you copy the file /usr/lib/kde4/share/apps/kdm/sessions/kde.desktop and put it into /usr/share/xsessions/ renamed as kde4.desktop. Once you've done this, open up the file in your favorite text editor from the command line using kdesu, for example:

Code:
                kdesu emacs /usr/share/xsessions/kde4.desktop
                You'll want to edit the line that says Name: KDE so it instead says Name: KDE4 or whatever else you want to call it so you can tell it apart from KDE3 in the KDM screen. Save and close the file, and next you want to open the file /usr/lib/kde4/bin/startkde and add these commands at the top of the file:

Code:
                export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/kde4/lib
                export KDEDIRS=/usr/lib/kde4
                export PATH=/usr/lib/kde4/bin/:$PATH
                export KDEHOME=~/.kde4
                Once you do this, everything should be shiny.

Comment

Working...
                X