X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu be made to look like Ubuntu

Hi,

I'm also asking this question at the KDE forums, but haven't gotten a good reply yet:

I use Linux at work, but only at the command line. Recently, I've installed Ubuntu on my laptop and it uses GNOME. I really like how GNOME looks with thin title bars and sharp, un-rounded corners.

However, I can't seem to be able to configure it as much as I would like. I've read that KDE is way more configurable, so I'm thinking of installing it. I've looked at screenshots, but I don't really like the way it looks with thick title bars and rounded corners. So my question is: can Kubuntu be made to look like Ubuntu? Do themes/styles exist that do this?

Thanks,

Re: Kubuntu be made to look like Ubuntu

I'm using Kubuntu, and it seems very customizable to me. There are lots of things to change the appearance. Not sure about making it look like GNOME, though.

In my opinion, just get a boot CD and try it and see if you like it.

Comment

You are right about KDE having more rounded and thick corners/title bars than Gnome. Each desktop has its tendencies, and right now KDE has more rounded corners with very thick moulding, as can be seen in almost all of the window styles.
      Gnome may look a bit more conservative, but it is also less "messed" than KDE.
      If what you want is a desktop for the looks, install Compiz-Fusion on either KDE or Gnome.

Comment

It's been many years since I've even tried Gnome, so I'm not sure what its standard Windows decorations are like, but I'm not a big fan of the rounded corners and fat borders that is the KDE default either. I've settled on the window decoration called B II which has sharp corners and is pretty small. It's also a little different in that the title bar isn't the full window width unless the title for the window is that long.

There is a selection of different windows decorations available with the default install, and not all of them are bloated round puffy things. You should be able to find something you like.

Comment

Right now I'm using Style = Comix and Window decoration = Kfinity.
          Not bloated at all, sharp borders and normal title bars (I mean, not thick).
          I remember using B II back in Kde 2.0 beta, it really looked cool at that time, very stylish. =)

Comment

I've installed KDE and it is awesome.

Configured just about everything in about 10 mins. Reduced the "bloated" look to be cleaner and sharper.

Still need to configure the touchpad, though.

Thanks,

Comment

Working...
            X