This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

once again please, I want to format an external drive in ext3

hi, I want to format an external drive in ext3 but at the same time I don't want to use a bootCD this time but actually use a downloadable program and run it within kubuntu.

I would just like a partition magic clone which I can run from within kubuntu
    every day is a gift

Re: once again please, I want to format an external drive in ext3

Use GParted Live CD

GParted: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/
    Get the CD -- it's handy. Also, 7.04 should have Gpareted in it, too (under System > ?)

I just did similar:

How To Make GRUB Thumb Drive
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081748.0
    How to install K/Ubuntu 7.04 to an external USB hard disk drive (HDD).
    (Scroll to the second post, August 14, 2007.)
    USB experiment: USB drive shifting
    (Agust 19, 2007 post)
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

thanks, but as I wrote in my post I am looking for a way to do it form the kubuntu install itself, for example with windows I just righthandclick the drive in diskmgmt.msc or in explorer then it offers me the choice of formatting a drive, I would like to be able to format an external drive into ext3 to store data on (I burned a copy of gparted the other day but somehow it doesn't seem to fully load and I hope to learn here to do that later), is there a program one can download from source files to do this gui style, if not how would one go about this from command line, thanks
      every day is a gift

Comment

Use adept/synaptic and find gparted. Install and see if it "sees" your external drive, create a logical partition, format. That should do it.
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

hi fintan, always a releif to see your replies here, what you are saying is that gparted in a program that can be run while running kubuntu, I will now try it out, thanks
          every day is a gift

Comment

Working...
          X